Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I adopted a dog from the shelter without knowing what has happened to him before I adopted him. He's a funny and sometimes strange guy.
When I first brought him home, he was scared of the stairs in our apartment (we live on the second floor). After training with him 2 days, he was fully able to climb the stairs without problems.
Now, after about a month, he suddenly stopped climbing the stairs again. I don't know how it happened, as I am pretty sure he did not have any incident he might get scared of while having him. He gets really scared again and all the treats won't do it anymore (while training him at first, it worked pretty well with treats).

do you have any ideas what I should do? I cannot carry him everytime I try to get him up the stairs...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
How old is he? I would be suspicious, that he may be in pain climbing steps. Best to have your Vet check him out, to either rule out medical issues, or to diagnose and form a treatment plan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in a similar boat. I rescued an old guy and am carrying him up the stairs half the time. I wonder how old he is? Did he show signs of pain when he would use the stairs? Shaking, or limping?

My parents had a dog in the past that had never used stairs so we had to teach him, which sounds like maybe something you had to do. However, we didn’t see a set back with him. We ended up having to install a baby gate to keep him from going downstairs and getting into trouble.

If nothing obvious happened, my money is on pain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts