Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 year old dog,Sally loves bones but she won't bother with them after a week or so.She just doesn't want it anymore.
She doesn't chew them through by then,just a bit,so theres more bone left by a week.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My dog can be the same way sometimes. Once the bone is a few days old she's just not interested anymore, even though she's barely made any progress on it. I've found she prefers antlers and will usually chew on them off and on for a long time.
Does Sally do this w all chews? Maybe try something different; something completely edible, but tastier and much healthier than a rawhide, like a Himalayan chew (they're made out of hard yak's cheese) might entice her to keep chewing. See if your parents will let you try a Himalayan chew, they're slightly on the pricey side but if you're just trying one I can't imagine it'd be much of a problem. I'll bet she loves them, most dogs do, she might even chew it til it's gone. I think it's worth a try anyway.
Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding. She doesn't do it with all bones,but shes a bit of a diva sometimes.
One small antler from petsmart here is literally over 30 dollars! I may stock up on bones.
My dog can be the same way sometimes. Once the bone is a few days old she's just not interested anymore, even though she's barely made any progress on it. I've found she prefers antlers and will usually chew on them off and on for a long time.
Does Sally do this w all chews? Maybe try something different; something completely edible, but tastier and much healthier than a rawhide, like a Himalayan chew (they're made out of hard yak's cheese) might entice her to keep chewing. See if your parents will let you try a Himalayan chew, they're slightly on the pricey side but if you're just trying one I can't imagine it'd be much of a problem. I'll bet she loves them, most dogs do, she might even chew it til it's gone. I think it's worth a try anyway.
Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ go ahead and stock up on bones, that's a good idea. Just to be clear, I wasn't recommending antlers as to me that didn't sound like something Sally like would like too much (though she might). I was recommending Himalayan yak's cheese chews, if they don't have them at your pet store you'd probably have to order them online, but they're super tasty and healthy for dogs to boot. Might be something to try if your parents will let you. I bet she'd chew those til they were all the way gone. =)
You can Google "Himalayan dog chews" and see where to order them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yep that's what I was talking about.
EDIT: can't get the link to work ...just search "Himalayan dog chew" on Amazon and pick the cheapest one.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 15 year old dog,Sally loves bones but she won't bother with them after a week or so.She just doesn't want it anymore.
She doesn't chew them through by then,just a bit,so theres more bone left by a week.
Are you trying to use the bones as a boredom breaker? Coz there are other things you can get to have your dog chew on. :)

"Treat your dog as you would yourself"
Dog Training Products | WATERPROOF | http://goo.gl/oohvRM

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would think a week-old bone is a bit too old anyway? Unless you are putting them away in the fridge in-between?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts