Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted a 13-month old Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso mix named Leo and we are absolutely in love with him. However, the little stinker will only go to the bathroom (both peeing and pooping) on walks! We're trying to get him to pee on a tree outside of our house, but he'll just sit down and not do anything if we stand out there with him. He's very well-trained and so he won't go to the bathroom inside the house, he'll just hold it until he goes on a walk. Our idea was to take him out to the same spot around every hour until he finally has to pee, but it's just inhumane to not walk him all day and so he just holds it until he finally gets to go on a walk.
It's really a hassle to have to go on a walk every few hours to make him go to the bathroom, so we were looking for any advice/training tips on how to make him go to the bathroom in our front yard. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Perhaps he only poops and pees on leash? You did not say whether, when you take him to the tree, he is on leash or not? If he is not on the leash, you can try that first, so he can establish that as a potty spot.

If he sees it as his 'home' still (the garden that is), then perhaps what you can do is take a bit of his poop (tiny bit is enough), and smear it near the tree so it smells like a potty spot. That might encourage him to go there.

Other than that I just want to say that it is really good that he does not potty inside the house at all! <3

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Oh the dog idiosyncrasies... My ex from another life had a bichon did the exact opposite, would only pee or poop at home. Take him for a walk, nothing. There were times he really had to go, he'd be walking all scrunched up toward the end of the walk - get back to the front lawn and he'd release.

Took another dog to teach him that it's ok. He was a year old, don't believe he was ever walked by previous owners. Borrowed a neighbors dog and walked them together, that dog did it's thing on walks - bichon caught on pretty quick. Maybe that's what you should consider, bring in a friends dog to obtain what you want.

·
Registered
884 Posts
What is a blessing for some is a problem for others...
I actually want my dog to do his thing on walks, not in the garden, all my other dogs did the same. 3 walks a day for an adult dog is plenty opportunity, and they all did/do fine on a schedule.

I did add a 'go pee', in my case, the telephone pole on our drive way, so maybe a tad easier, as all the neighbours dogs stop their too. Dogs that pee on walks usually find other dog pee enticing, so yes, getting someone else's dog to pee on your 'pee' tree will probably help--lots.

Here's what I did.
Dog gets his 3x/day walks, and pees as usual on his walks.
Other times of day, when I 'think' he might like to go (such as just after play in the yard), I walk him (without excitement) up to the pole, and I stand there, maybe even walk him around the pole, give him a few boring minutes, and then done. If he pees, great. I might tell him good job, but really, I'm sure peeing on a pole feels pretty nice without my input. If he doesn't pee, I do NOT go on a walk (remember, he's already getting those opportunities) and bring him in again.
It took awhile, but now, unless he really doesn't have to, he pees on that post, or, away from home, on a tree before I take him in a building (he WANTS to pee on entry-ways, I WANT him NOT to do THAT), which brings me to another additional hint.

Dogs sniff around looking for a spot to pee, so anytime he does that in the 'wrong' place (like the entrance to a public building), I quickly walk him to a tree or post and wait. I do say 'go pee', but likely it's the opportunity itself that initiates the action.

But in the meantime, count your blessing...on walks is a great time to pee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts