Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we brought our 3 yr old pitbull home just a week and a half ago. He was on antibiotics for his raw paws which we discontinued because his paws were fine and we thought the medicine was making him sick. However he has remained sick. He lays around and sleeps all day, will not play, will not eat and rarely drinks, and he pukes about twice a day. My husband thinks that it is not a big deal and he is still adjusting to this new home but I'm nervous. How can I get him to eat?!

·
Registered
170 Posts
You have to take him to a vet!!!!
Puking is one thing, but being lethargic another...both together a serious concern. your dog needs to see a vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
He NEEDS to see a veterinarian! This is not normal "adjustment" stuff!

He is certainly very sick, and may have more than one thing wrong besides the paw problem.
This time, you need to follow the veterinarian's directions. If he does not improve, then call the vet back to discuss his health, rather than take him off of the antibiotics.

He needs to go to the vet first thing in the morning, if not before. He could be dehydrated from all the vomiting, or he could even have an intestinal blockage, which is a life threatening emergency.

Has he pooped recently? When was the last time he ate? Is he drinking? Has he urinated? Feel is mouth... is it moist or dry-ish? What is the color of his gums? Gently take a handful of skin from his neck and pull it up a bit... does it spring back quickly or slowly?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
^that. Vet asap. For future reference, never take a dog off of its antibiotics without the vet's approval.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I agree with the others. You need to see a vet ASAP. Take him into the emergency if you have to, he needs medical attention or he may die.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HE IS OKAY!! We were going to take him into day but then he started eating and he's drank two bowls of water. Our vet said to give him the antibiotic WITH food. She thinks he started getting sick because we gave it to him without food (because the shelter told us to). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm sorry, but I think you need a different Vet. I have seen my own dogs stomachs get upset because of antibiotics but I dont think it's normal for the reaction to be quite that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Oh, and where did you get Vet advise since you didnt even take him in?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
vet asap. It's never ok to just stop a course of antibiotics without discussing with the doc.

Pits are notoriously allergic...I'd think he might have an allergy issue, but that is the least of your worries know.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I'm sorry, but I think you need a different Vet. I have seen my own dogs stomachs get upset because of antibiotics but I dont think it's normal for the reaction to be quite that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have to wonder, too, if the vet was told the full range of symptoms? Most vets will not give advise over the phone about a dog they haven't seen. Also, did the vet say that giving the remainder of the antibiotics would be sufficient or will you need to go pick up more to meet the min. length of consistent treatment?

I would still be taking the dog to the vet for a double check.... I hope he continues to do ok if you don't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts