Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 10 pound mini pin was viciously attacked my a neighbors pitbull that escaped through the front door. my dog had to have immediate amputation of his back right leg, he is in severe pain and has puncture bite wounds throughout his body. I need help paying the bills as the person responsible is telling me she has limited funds im asking for any help.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm sorry that happened. You need to get the authorities involved. The owner of this dog should absolutely be financially responsible.

I advise everyone to get pet insurance....we never plan for these tragedies to happen, but when they do, for a minimal monthly fee we can be 100% covered. In your case it's too late for this instance, but to anyone else...you may want to highly consider this.

Good luck. Please get the authorities involved.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If you havent already I suggest you look up charities that pay vet bills or assist when people can't pay. I'm so sorry your dog was hurt.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would also call animal control. Clearly your neighbor has a dog she cannot control that is dangerous--and I'm not saying that because the dog is a pit bull but because it attacked and seriously injured another dog. In fact, given the size differential, it sounds as if your dog were lucky not to be killed. If your dog was on your property and the other dog invaded it to attack your dog, that's particularly scary, but even if you were merely walking your dog on a public sidewalk and the other dog got out of its house accidentally, it shouldn't be viciously attacking another, much smaller dog.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Did you get animal control / police involved?
They should be held liable. I understand having limited funds but they need to get a loan, barrow the money, etc or work it out to reimburse you over time (if you agree). You are very lucky your dog is alive. I'm very sorry that your dog had to go through this.

While it could be an innocent mistake these are the types of things that lead to breed bans. The dog was doing what it knows and the owner should have prevented that. You have to be hyper vigilant with Pit Bulls.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You need to pursue legal remedies. Your neighbor may say he or she has limited funds, but that does not relieve him or her of legal responsibilities, which are clear, as their dog was not under control at the time of the attack. So sorry your dog and you are going through this nightmare.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You need to pursue legal remedies. Your neighbor may say he or she has limited funds, but that does not relieve him or her of legal responsibilities, which are clear, as their dog was not under control at the time of the attack. So sorry your dog and you are going through this nightmare.

This 100%. Please give us an update. I am certainly no lawyer but I can try and help you get started here. The owner saying they don't have the funds right now is unacceptable! They are legally responsible here.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I hate to say this, but the neighbors may also be saying they don't have the funds to pay for the damage their dog did to yours when their situation is not that dire--that is, they may simply not want to spend their money on your vet bills, even though they could. And, as others have pointed out, it's not really their decision to make anyway. Their dog attacked your dog. They are legally liable for their dog's actions, and they can't just say, "Gee, sorry, but we can't pay for anything because we can't afford it." What they can/must pay is not up to them to decide. Furthermore, if they're that financially strapped, how can they even afford their own dog? Pitbulls aren't tiny. Just feeding them adequately isn't inexpensive, as, like any other larger dog, they go through more food faster. Then there's vet care etc. Now, granted, maybe they're not feeding the dog a high end dog food, but if they aren't keeping the dog's rabies vaccinations up to date and licensing that dog (depending on local rules), the're already in violation of the law, even without the added issue of their dog attacking yours and causing it major injuries.

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since you have already tried to talk with the other dog's owner about the vet bills, then yes, call animal control. Any responsible pet owner would have already offered to pay for all the vet bills.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first time on this sight & we are in a similar situation, our German shepherd mix was mauled by a stray bull mastiff on a public street, our dog was on a leash & basically blind sided.she too had extensive injuries. The humane society was called, the dog taken into custody & he did send a report to the city attorney.
The dogs there were 2, just one attacked were released back to their owner.
The humane society gave us a redacted report & even though we have requested a public records request from the city attorney, they haven't supplied it yet. We contacted 3 law firms, no luck there. Our dog, lost an eye, has a crushed sternum & a broken leg that won't heal. What we discovered was, if it's a dog on dog attack you are on your own. If you can I would take them to small claims court. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.