Dog Forum banner

Would you get the surgery if it was your dog. Money no issue.

  • Yes

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

    Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved dog has a small brain tumour - we had her at the vet on Friday for an MRI and it’s confirmed. She had a seizure approx 3 weeks ago which is what alerted us to a potential problem. Since then she fully recovered and hasn’t had another but we wanted to rule out anything in the brain so had her at the neurologist and did the recommended MRI. Now we have a choice of radiation which is out of Province for us, surgery to remove the tumour or palliative care until it takes her. Both our regular vet and our neurologist are recommending surgery and we are willing and able to do so but I’m struggling with “is that best for her?” She is 13 years old and otherwise in very good health. The neurologist says she doesn’t think age is a factor as it’s current health and how “operable” the tumour is. It’s small and it’s “in an easy location” and the vet thinks she would do well. But it’s still brain surgery and she’s on anti seize meds now and steroids to shrink the tumour.
I don’t have many people in my life who understand where I’m at right now and I want to know what other people would do if this was their dog- she’s family and I want her to stay with us but I don’t want her to suffer just so we don’t.
prognosis after surgery is “anywhere from 5 to 70 months” survival. Prognosis for palliative is 1-2 months. We have scheduled the surgery for next week but I keep going back and forth about it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,438 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having to make this terrible decision. 70 months sounds very promising, if they could give you some confidence that she could achieve that, it would be as though she didn't have the tumour in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Oh, that's awful. So sorry. I would do the palliative care. That's just me, you may feel differently. It's a hard choice to have to make.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Not to frighten you but my dog that passed away had a brain tumor I paid for his surgery but sadly he still passed soon after the surgery
He was pretty similar to the description you have 15, no health problems
But it might just have been age
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
70 months sounds great until you realise thats 5 years making her 18.... Chance of a dog reaching 18? slim anyway.

Of course the choice is yours but what will be the recovery time, what risks are there of the tumour growing back, of complications? There are a million questions but myself I would give the best care I could and enjoy every moment because its not always about how long we can keep them..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to frighten you but my dog that passed away had a brain tumor I paid for his surgery but sadly he still passed soon after the surgery
He was pretty similar to the description you have 15, no health problems
But it might just have been age
Yes, we are aware there is no guarantee the surgery will ensure survival. I'm sorry you experienced that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,380 Posts
I think I would make the same decision you have. If the Vets you trust are telling you her chances for survival are good, and can recover to a 'quality' life, I would go for it too. There are never guarantees, ever, but medicine for humans and for dogs is all about risk vs benefit. I know for our girl, I would never want her to suffer when recovery is hopeless, but on the other hand, I would not want to deny her even a day of quality life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess that is what makes this decision SO difficult - there is no guarantee that she will recover to a quality life. However, you are right that I trust my vets and they both think she has very good chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,380 Posts
Its a very difficult decision, and understandably you want only what is best for your girl. All you can do, is use the best information you have available, and make your decision based on that, and again what your trusted Vets are telling you. I'm sorry you are in a position that requires you to make this decision, but really the best advice I can offer is to do what your heart and love for your beloved dog tell you is the right thing to do. Once your decision is made, don't second guess yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,829 Posts
If money wasn't the issue, and the vet seems to think it would help, I would do the surgery on the dog.

I would think a tumor could cause a dog to have headaches?
So just getting it out might make the dog more comfortable, and also, give it a chance to live for a couple more years. I've had a few dogs live to be age 16, most only lived to be around 14 though -so, there is that. But as long as the dog was comfortable and in no pain, I would pay what I could to have any of my pets with me for a few extra months to a few years. Once they are gone they are gone and no amount of money can change that.

I hope everything goes well and you do get a few more years with your dog.

Stormy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
My beloved dog has a small brain tumour - we had her at the vet on Friday for an MRI and it’s confirmed. She had a seizure approx 3 weeks ago which is what alerted us to a potential problem. Since then she fully recovered and hasn’t had another but we wanted to rule out anything in the brain so had her at the neurologist and did the recommended MRI. Now we have a choice of radiation which is out of Province for us, surgery to remove the tumour or palliative care until it takes her. Both our regular vet and our neurologist are recommending surgery and we are willing and able to do so but I’m struggling with “is that best for her?” She is 13 years old and otherwise in very good health. The neurologist says she doesn’t think age is a factor as it’s current health and how “operable” the tumour is. It’s small and it’s “in an easy location” and the vet thinks she would do well. But it’s still brain surgery and she’s on anti seize meds now and steroids to shrink the tumour.
I don’t have many people in my life who understand where I’m at right now and I want to know what other people would do if this was their dog- she’s family and I want her to stay with us but I don’t want her to suffer just so we don’t.
prognosis after surgery is “anywhere from 5 to 70 months” survival. Prognosis for palliative is 1-2 months. We have scheduled the surgery for next week but I keep going back and forth about it.
My beloved dog has a small brain tumour - we had her at the vet on Friday for an MRI and it’s confirmed. She had a seizure approx 3 weeks ago which is what alerted us to a potential problem. Since then she fully recovered and hasn’t had another but we wanted to rule out anything in the brain so had her at the neurologist and did the recommended MRI. Now we have a choice of radiation which is out of Province for us, surgery to remove the tumour or palliative care until it takes her. Both our regular vet and our neurologist are recommending surgery and we are willing and able to do so but I’m struggling with “is that best for her?” She is 13 years old and otherwise in very good health. The neurologist says she doesn’t think age is a factor as it’s current health and how “operable” the tumour is. It’s small and it’s “in an easy location” and the vet thinks she would do well. But it’s still brain surgery and she’s on anti seize meds now and steroids to shrink the tumour.
I don’t have many people in my life who understand where I’m at right now and I want to know what other people would do if this was their dog- she’s family and I want her to stay with us but I don’t want her to suffer just so we don’t.
prognosis after surgery is “anywhere from 5 to 70 months” survival. Prognosis for palliative is 1-2 months. We have scheduled the surgery for next week but I keep going back and forth about it.
[/Q

First, I am very sorry you are going thru this.

I have had 3 boxers. Boxers are genetically predisposed to cancer. One of my boxers (lived to be 13 yrs old) had cancer 3 separate times. The third time, I knew she was too old/feeble for surgery but I was happy we operated previously because we had several more quality years together. Ultimately, I put her down when she became uncomfortable and stopped eating.

My 4 yr old boxer died from brain cancer (presented with seizure and died the same day as we were unable to control the seizures)

Ultimately, you will have to decide for yourself (and your dog) but if the tumor is small and both the vet and the neurologist think that this will not be a terribly complicated surgery, I think that I, myself, would try but again, you will have to decide for yourself. It is a very difficult thing to do and again I am sorry you are having to go thru this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to post an update in case anyone is wondering. We opted to go with the surgery and she is now 1 week post-op. She is doing really well - the first few days were tough but after that we saw improvement everyday - and still are. We know that this could just be buying us a few months - but it could also be giving us a few years. Time will tell. Overall I'm glad we went with the surgery to give her a chance. There has been no change in her personality which was something I worried about. The vet told us the tumour was in a "very good place" for surgery and prognosis is good. Thanks for everyone's comments they all helped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I wanted to post an update in case anyone is wondering. We opted to go with the surgery and she is now 1 week post-op. She is doing really well - the first few days were tough but after that we saw improvement everyday - and still are. We know that this could just be buying us a few months - but it could also be giving us a few years. Time will tell. Overall I'm glad we went with the surgery to give her a chance. There has been no change in her personality which was something I worried about. The vet told us the tumour was in a "very good place" for surgery and prognosis is good. Thanks for everyone's comments they all helped.
Happy to hear it.
May your dog get well soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,380 Posts
Great, so glad to hear the she is doing so well. Continue to update us from time to time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Happy to hear it.
May your dog get well soon.
I was so happy to hear this news! I lost my 4 year old boxer to a brain mass- he did not have a chance to have surgery but if I had had that option I would have gladly taken it. I am so very happy for you :)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top