Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chihuahua (Mia) was badly attacked by my Labrador (Posh) Saturday. She ripped her open on her back and side. I'm convinced that it happened because my Labrador resource guards me, and Mia snapped at her right before it happened. I know chihuahuas can be instigators, but this has upset me so much.

My chihuahua won't leave her bed. She won't eat anything, so I am unable to give her any kind of medication. Thankfully, she is drinking water. We started fostering her in April, and I officially adopted her Saturday (ironically on the same day as the attack). When we first got her, she wouldn't let us pet her for 2 days. We found out that she was severely neglected; had heartworms, dermatitis, hernias, etc. We also think there was possible abuse in the first home she was in. As the weeks went by, she became more and more loving and trusting. She LOVES to eat and go "bye-bye". But now that this has happened, she doesn't do anything but lay in her bed. She growls at my mom when she stands near her, and she only growls at me when I get near her while she's under the bed. I know that this is because she's in a lot of pain. But I am truly hoping that this event doesn't traumatize her permanently. She's already been through so much, and I hate that this happened.

This event happened at a dog festival on Saturday. When Posh attacked Mia, she showed barely any signs of aggression. She didn't growl, she didn't bark, and she didn't show her teeth. Mia snapped at her, and in 2 seconds, Posh was on her. She wasn't even growling when she was shaking her around. Her face looked completely expressionless. I suffered from a few small holes in my fingers from trying to pry her jaw apart from the grip. Thankfully, an expert came running over and told someone to grab her back legs. It worked. I'm never letting Posh get around her again.

I'm worried about her not eating and taking her pills. I know that if we try to put the pill in her mouth, she will bite. And even though she's only 6 pounds, she bites HARD. The mobile vet is visiting our house tomorrow to take out her draining tubes. I'm sure she will give her a shot of something to help with the pain.

I guess I have a few questions.

Does anyone think Mia will continue to be immobile and stand-offish?
Does anyone think she will eat again?
Will she ever trust us again?

My mom is a very negative person, and she keeps saying that Mia will never be the same. It really worries me.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to Mia! It must have been horribly traumatic for you too.

Ask the vet for a liquid pain medicine, it will be easier to squirt into her mouth. If you need to give her pills try hiding them in something yummy. Currently I use canned dog food, some people swear by canned cat food. In the past I've used pieces of hot dog, pill pockets, etc.

You'll likely start to see an improvement in your girl's behavior when she's not in so much pain, BUT she may never be the same around other dogs. She may always be on the defensive side with them, and may decide to try and chase them away rather then let them get near them. You can work with her on that behavior should it occur. You'll need to start teaching her that other dogs cause only terrific things to happen when they are around. A lot of people use extra yummy treats to do that, others use play and toys, use whatever works best for Mia.

Have you tried luring Mia out and blocking off her access to under the bed, and setting up a new hiding place for her that still allows you to access her? I ask because you really need to be able to keep an eye on those wounds to make sure that they are not getting inflamed and infected. If she's allowing you to keep an eye on them then her hiding under the bed isn't a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so sorry that happened to Mia! It must have been horribly traumatic for you too.

Ask the vet for a liquid pain medicine, it will be easier to squirt into her mouth. If you need to give her pills try hiding them in something yummy. Currently I use canned dog food, some people swear by canned cat food. In the past I've used pieces of hot dog, pill pockets, etc.

You'll likely start to see an improvement in your girl's behavior when she's not in so much pain, BUT she may never be the same around other dogs. She may always be on the defensive side with them, and may decide to try and chase them away rather then let them get near them. You can work with her on that behavior should it occur. You'll need to start teaching her that other dogs cause only terrific things to happen when they are around. A lot of people use extra yummy treats to do that, others use play and toys, use whatever works best for Mia.

Have you tried luring Mia out and blocking off her access to under the bed, and setting up a new hiding place for her that still allows you to access her? I ask because you really need to be able to keep an eye on those wounds to make sure that they are not getting inflamed and infected. If she's allowing you to keep an eye on them then her hiding under the bed isn't a problem.
Thanks for the reply. Like I said above, she isn't eating anything, so I can't give her treats. She won't even eat cheese (which is her favorite). I want to try to give her liquid pain medication, but if we try to touch her, she bites HARD. I know it's because she is in pain, and probably confused.

She has been skittish around dogs even when we first got her, especially big dogs, so I don't mind that as much. I'm just worried she will be skittish around me and my mom.

The vet is coming tomorrow to give her more pain meds by injection. I hope it helps.

I may try to block off the bed when I get home. I'm not sure how I'll do it, but I have to figure something out.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Mia will probably take a week or so to deal with the trauma, and then she will likely be woozy from the pain meds and in pain... let her rest and sleep a lot, hobble by however you can with the food. If she will only eat filet mignon, so be it. She just needs to eat. Keep her drinking, be creative with pilling. Give her lots of love and touch. She sounds shut down. This, again, will stop a dog's appetite dead in its tracks. Sort of swaddling her up in a blanket (rap her and tuck it under her chin) might make her feel a little safer.

Just let her eat, drink, sleep and be loved on. Don't try to take her out of her comfort zone. She will expand that comfort zone when she is good and ready.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mia will probably take a week or so to deal with the trauma, and then she will likely be woozy from the pain meds and in pain... let her rest and sleep a lot, hobble by however you can with the food. If she will only eat filet mignon, so be it. She just needs to eat. Keep her drinking, be creative with pilling. Give her lots of love and touch. She sounds shut down. This, again, will stop a dog's appetite dead in its tracks. Sort of swaddling her up in a blanket (rap her and tuck it under her chin) might make her feel a little safer.

Just let her eat, drink, sleep and be loved on. Don't try to take her out of her comfort zone. She will expand that comfort zone when she is good and ready.
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, she won't let us touch her. She growls and shows her teeth. She won't even eat sausage.

I made a blanket pallet on the hardwood floor the night after it happened. She growled and whimpered a lot, but I stayed by her side. Eventually, she got up and went into my mom's room to lay in her other dog bed. I don't know if it's because she felt like I was invading or if she just wanted to be away from the cat (who was sleeping on the couch several feet away from her).

She isn't interested in eating anything at all. She hasn't eaten in 2 days now, going on 3. :(

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, she won't let us touch her. She growls and shows her teeth. She won't even eat sausage.

I made a blanket pallet on the hardwood floor the night after it happened. She growled and whimpered a lot, but I stayed by her side. Eventually, she got up and went into my mom's room to lay in her other dog bed. I don't know if it's because she felt like I was invading or if she just wanted to be away from the cat (who was sleeping on the couch several feet away from her).

She isn't interested in eating anything at all. She hasn't eaten in 2 days now, going on 3. :(
Have you called the vet and let them know? For a small dog, going that long with no food is not good at all, and will make everything worse.

She sounds like my boy with the hiding, he will hide when he's frightened or in pain and if I "find" him he'll change hiding places. It's almost like he's afraid that if I found him someone else might also.

If she's drinking water what you can do to get some nutrition in her is make a bone broth and put around a teaspoon or so into some water and let her drink it. You can make it with beef marrow bones, or a whole chicken. Here's a link with some recipes. My Favorite Bone Broth Recipe For Your Sick or Elderly Dog

Until you get some made, or if you don't want to make some, you can try to see if she'll drink some low sodium chicken broth, it's not as nutritious as bone broth but it's better then her not having anything.

Reactions: kelly528

·
Registered
434 Posts
What's going on with the bigger dog? Are they in an area where they're seeing one another? I'm thinking the little wounded dog would rather not have to see him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you called the vet and let them know? For a small dog, going that long with no food is not good at all, and will make everything worse.

She sounds like my boy with the hiding, he will hide when he's frightened or in pain and if I "find" him he'll change hiding places. It's almost like he's afraid that if I found him someone else might also.

If she's drinking water what you can do to get some nutrition in her is make a bone broth and put around a teaspoon or so into some water and let her drink it. You can make it with beef marrow bones, or a whole chicken. Here's a link with some recipes. My Favorite Bone Broth Recipe For Your Sick or Elderly Dog

Until you get some made, or if you don't want to make some, you can try to see if she'll drink some low sodium chicken broth, it's not as nutritious as bone broth but it's better then her not having anything.
She is eating now! My mom went home early from work and fed her 2 small chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-A. I'm so happy and proud of her! My sweet baby! <3

Thanks so much for this advice! I can't believe I didn't think of this!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's going on with the bigger dog? Are they in an area where they're seeing one another? I'm thinking the little wounded dog would rather not have to see him.
Posh is staying in my bedroom. She is never allowed to be around Mia again. I cannot risk it. Mia is just too snippy and Posh doesn't like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts