Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog was attack at a park not too long ago. The owner was on her phone, holding her dog by the leash when all of a sudden it broke free and sprinted towards my dog and attacked. My dog is now avoiding me and my family. What's going on with my dog?? Does she need space or leadership?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Did you take her to the vet to make sure she's alright?

She could be in pain, and that's why she's avoiding y'all.

She could also be scared and for whatever reason she associates y'all with the fight. Time, patience, and being gentle with her will help her overcome that if that's the case. Using treats and her favorite things will help speed up the process. Toss her treats as you walk by. When she comes to you give her attention, feed her treats, play with her, do whatever she loves. Call her to you and give her some treats, a nice rub down, play with her, etc. Teach her that great things happen to her when you and your family are around.

I'm not sure what you mean by leadership, but if you mean being firm and making her come to you then no she does not need that. She's wary of you now and being firm can backfire and make her even more afraid of you.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oh my gosh that's horrible! Is she ok? No serious wounds? Have you ben to a vet? Did you report the other dog to your local council?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dog was attack at a park not too long ago. The owner was on her phone, holding her dog by the leash when all of a sudden it broke free and sprinted towards my dog and attacked. My dog is now avoiding me and my family. What's going on with my dog?? Does she need space or leadership?
Sorry for your horrible experience. I had a similar experience, but it was my dog who attacked another dog. But I suspected that there was aggression from the other dog as well.

But I still made sure that the other dog got checked up. So I made sure the dog went to the vet. I suggest you take your dog to a vet and have her checked out. It will relieve you of much stress. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The owner should of been paying closer attention! That is not ok! I am so sorry that happened to you!!

Mine was attacked as a puppy and it did change her. I would suggest carrying on as normal, don't over baby, but at the same time give the usual amount of attention.

It sound like it can be a confidence/fear thing as well. And as stated above, take to the vet to make sure no injuries had occurred. Mine was bit in the face and ended up getting an infection inside her mouth and needed antibiotics and then was fine. Now she is overly submissive around large dogs and will lay down and pee a little. Then she perks up after they smell her. It took her awhile to get there.

So patience, leadership, understanding, and time is what she needs right now.

Take it slow, love and praise and have her warm back up to you. I'd take it super slow on introducing her to new dogs again. She'll probably be fearful for awhile.

Getting attacked will definitely change a dog. I can tell you that =/
Mine went from this brave, spunky, fearless puppy. To this cautious, skiddish, and unconfident dog. It's been over a year since it happened. She has perked back up but she'll never be the same around strange dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.