Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first time posting.

I desperately need any and all advice, I will try everything.

My mother and I recently took in a new dog. The home he was at was a mess and the owner barely took care of him. He's real sweet and I love him already, but I have to work on his behavioral issues (which I have never had to do before.)

The main problem is this: he thinks he is SUPPOSED to poop and pee inside the home. That's what he did at the house he lived at before, and the owner didn't do anything. and I think that's what went on for multiple years. (He's around 4 or so.)

What do I do? Do I try standard potty training methods, or am I going to have to do something different?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, you start housetraining as if the dog was a young puppy. Walk very often. Praise if the dog does the thing outside. Keep an eye on the dog inside and when s/he starts looking like s/he is going to potty (ie sniffing the floor, walking in small circles, maybe being restless) take him/her outside immediately. You can restrict access in the house. Accidents are cleaned without making a fuss and use odor-removing cleaning agent you can buy at pet stores because scents attract the dog to use the spot again. This trait you can also use by planting urine scent where you want the dog go (fastest way to get Alva (who is confident around other dogs) to pee in a hurry is to walk her where another dog has toileted because Alva wants to mark it).
Also, make sure the dog feels safe outside, a scared dog won't pee or poop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts