Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male lab mix, about 2 years old. We adopted him about 9 months ago and have taken him to training. He completed puppy 1 & 2 and was doing great. So smart, taught him to sit, lay, and shake in a week. He was doing great up until a couple weeks ago, very excitable but not uncontrollable. Then suddenly he started barking when we go to take him for a walk. In the morning when i wake yp and start to get ready he runs full speed around my apartment then when i grab his leash he starts barking and wont stop. I have tried several things like leaving the room when he barks (he stops barking but starts as soon as I come back) treats work to quiet him down but i dont want him to learn that if hes a brat he gets a treat. Jumping up has also gotten worse as well as nipping and his behavior in the crate (he has seperation anxiety. He was doing good to the point where he wouldnt even cry in the crate but now hes back to screaming)
I have heard or "puppy rebellion" but always thought of it as a joke. Is this normal? How do i correct the behavior.

I do exercise him regularly. We run every morning and take 2-3 decent walks a day. Hes always tired when he gets home and sleeps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was going to suggest more exercise until I got to the bottom of your post. I have a very similar problem with my Cavalier. Have you tried simply sitting calmly and waiting for him to calm down? I did this with my dog and got exasperated after an hour and a half, but his problem has been existent since we got him as a puppy and was never corrected. He is now 9. I think though, if I had had the time to sit longer with him and wait (and was willing to repetitively do that), the problem could have disappeared. If you do try this I wouldn't think it would take so long because your lab is only 2.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts