Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our bosses dog (whom we are babysitting for a week) loves to romp in the grass and once in awhile will graze for a minute. Yesterday she chomped on a wasp and got stung. Her whole face got swollen and while the swelling did go down, you can see where she was stung on the side of her lip. And her neck is all saggy now from being stretched out when her face was swollen. She seems fine otherwise. Her owner said not to take her to the vet unless it didn't go down. Should we take her to the Vet today anyway or will it continue to resolve itself? I'm concerned that the stinger might still be in her and not sure if that in itself might still be dangerous for her.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
If it was a wasp that stung her then the stinger will not be a problem as they do not lose their stingers when they sting. If it was a honeybee then it would have left the sting, what you'd see where she was stung would be a little sack like thing stuck in her skin. The best way to remove them is to scrape at them with something like the edge of a credit card to keep from squeezing more venom into the wound.

So long as she's not having trouble breathing, the swelling is down, and her appetite is good, then she's likely fine and no need for the vet. Just make sure she's not rubbing and scratching the area and causing it to become sore and inflamed as that could lead to infection. If she starts rubbing and scratching it then get her an elizabethen collar to stop her, you can find those at pet shops and veterinarian offices.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with what Rain suggested. I would maybe call the vet and ask if there's something you can give her to help with the swelling and possible itchiness. But basically just make sure you keep an eye on the swelling, sting point and if she is breathing well and if she is or isn't scratching.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Her swelling is totally gone now. She rubbed it with her paws at first but my son gave her half a dogs pain pill and she just slept. Now all that's left to go away is the turkey neck from the swelling going down. I'm sure it will tighten up soon too. She's a Weimeriner (not sure how to spell that).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts