Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly our little dog can't seem to stand. This is a dog we rescued from the shelter 4 years ago, and he has never let us touch him, so I am trying to figure out how to get him to the vet. Does this sound like something that might take care of itself? He's not eating either. I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You've had a dog for 4 years and he won't let you touch him? I'd be concerned about that in the first instance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've had a dog for 4 years and he won't let you touch him? I'd be concerned about that in the first instance!

We adopted him from a shelter, thinking lots of love and time would bring him around. He's just one of those strange dogs, but by the time we figured out he wasn't going to change we couldn't give him up. He loves our other dogs and plays and runs, which is what I think happened to his leg. He, for the most part, seems happy, so we let him live his life like he wants to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You may want to try something like the Trust Technique which is great for connecting with animals. If you go to Home - trust-technique you will see a pop-up that offers a free day to watch the videos and will give you an idea of how to do it.

Good luck whatever you choose and I hope he gets better x

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may want to try something like the Trust Technique which is great for connecting with animals. If you go to Home - trust-technique you will see a pop-up that offers a free day to watch the videos and will give you an idea of how to do it.

I will definitely check that out - thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Inability to stand and not eating def calls for a vet visit. Seeing as he's not getting around well atm, why are you unable to just pick him up and get him to the vet? Do you need suggestions about safe handling/restraint?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm scared he'll freak out and really hurt himself. BUT it might be worth a try and hope that he doesn't try to run. I'm not sure that he wouldn't bite me although I don't think he would. He's a very fearful dog. Yeah, maybe I need to go ahead and try it instead of waiting to see if he'll progress on his own.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Not being ambulatory and not eating, becomes life threatening, meaning a trip to the Vets is unavoidable. You will have to do what you have to do to get him the help he needs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He actually ate yesterday so we got an aspirin in him. Seemed to feel a lot better, and this morning he was was up and around. I'm still keeping a close eye on him but I was so relieved he ate!! He has long hair between his toes so I'm thinking he might of slipped and sprained something. Praising God that he is feeling better today!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How is your little dog doing? Hope better.

Thank you for asking - he seems to be back to his old self! He's eating and playing - I think he might have sprained his back leg when he was running around excited. I'm very paranoid over my babies (we just lost a dog in June) as we have one with seizures. So I'm always watching them and know when something's wrong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How is your little dog doing? Hope better.

Thank you for asking - he seems to be back to his old self! He's eating and playing - I think he might have sprained his back leg when he was running around excited. I'm very paranoid over my babies (we just lost a dog in June) as we have one with seizures. So I'm always watching them and know when something's wrong.

That is good. Whenever our animals don’t feel well it saddens us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts