Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old, 5 pound, Chihuahua who stopped eating completely about a week ago. About 2 days before he stopped eating he got into a box of dog dental chews, he only at 2 of them and the next day threw up about 6 times and have diarrhea. This only last about half a day and his poop has been solid since, although he has not pooped in about 3 days now since he has not eaten anything. In the first couple days I got him to eat VERY small portions of food which he threw up about 4 hours after eating. Three days ago he ate a small dog treat and kept it down! We have been to the vet 4 times now and spent over $1000 and they still know nothing. Blood work showed his liver enzymes were slightly elevated but everything else was fine, x-rays showed there is a possibility of entinitis in his small intestines. He is on antibiotics for this but the vet said this would not result in him not eating. There have not been any changes in our life or daily routine that would effect his eating habits and he has never been a picky eater; he eats everything he can. This being said, other than the couple dental chews, there is nothing we can think of that he could have gotten into. The vet has given him anti-nausea medicine and an appetite stimulant, neither even spiked an interest in food. He stayed at the vet for 2 fully days on an IV to keep him from getting dehydrated and since then he has been drinking water but still not eating. He just seems so miserable and I am so worried there is something seriously wrong with him. I am thinking about going to see another vet, I just want him to feel better but I don't have the money to spend another $1000. Any suggestions or ideas you have, please let me know! Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
best to get an ultrasound- hard to see foreign bodies on X-rays sometimes in itty bitty dogs as they don't have to be very large to cause a blockage. Or have an exploratory done. the latter can be curative and is even sometimes cheaper than an ultrasound, though a negative ultrasound (by an expert!) can save you and your pet an unnecessary surgery. either way, if lab work is fairly normal, then that is usually the next step (though simply syringe feeding him some gruel is usually rather easy and if he can keep it down, well worth the effort… then if he vomits it back up still, despite being on strong antivomiting meds, you can feel more assured it's something physically in his intestines).
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
What are you trying to feed him? What dental chews did he eat? Does he normally chew on them or does he bite off pieces and swallow them whole? Are they certain that he does not have a blockage?

I'd definitely get him to a different vet for a second opinion. If necessary see about getting a CareCredit Card, it's a medical credit card that nearly all vets take.

I'd feed him a mixture of sweet potato or white rice and chicken, it's easy on the stomach and easy to digest. Bake the sweet potato until it's soft if you use it. Boil the chicken until fully cooked and if using the rice boil the rice in the water the chicken was cooked in. Debone and skin the chicken, discard skin and bones. Puree together the sweet potato, or rice, and chicken it should be minimum 1/2 chicken and 1/2 potato or rice, It's fine to up the chicken portion, the more protein the better. Feed him small potions of that throughout the day, rather then one or two large portions, until you have him eating again. When I have to feed it to my boy I generally feed him slightly more then the amount of kibble I feed him. It's fine to feed it as is on a temporary basis but it is not nutritionally complete and if you are feeding it for more then a week or so it's best to add a vitamin supplement.

To get his blood sugar back up try rubbing a bit of honey on his gums.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top