Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 7,5 lbs Morkie. When we go for a walk she stops at every 15 feet and just looks around. She is very interested in everything she see on our walk together. If she sees someone mowing the lawn, parking a car, a person walking or another dog she stops to observe. I simply can’t get her to walk like normal dogs. I have tried everything, such as treats and toys. These worked a couple of times but then she realized if she stops she gets a treat or toy. She then started to learn that she could stop even more frequently and get a another treat. Also, if we don't go in the direction she wants she throws a tantrum. She will sometime lay on her back like a 3 year old and refuse to go any further. Luckily she is small and I can pick her up and carry her for a few steps and then put her down. We will take a few more steps and it starts all over again. I’ve had her since she was 7 weeks old. She has been this way from the beginning. I pick her up, carry her for a while and put her down again. We went to dog training school and there she did everything well. But out on the street she is a drama queen. Nothing traumatic has happened to her that could have scared her from walking normally. She just turned 1 year old and I am stressed out and exhausted. I love my little princess but I'm totally helpless to figure out how we could enjoy normal walks together. Please help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Simple answer is to reward forward movement or following you...
If food and toys come out when she stops, you're rewarding the stopping. Rewards need to happen when she is walking with you. Reward very frequently initially. Later, once following you is fun, you can start increasing distance for rewards.

She hould get nothing for stopping. At most maybe a kissy noise to see if you can get her attention if fixating on something...

When she starts moving again, support verbally. Perhaps a cheerful ''there you are, silly'' but no food reward for that initial step or two. After multiple steps you can reward and continue to reward as long as she is moving with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
throw in more leash walking training sessions at home, in your garden or in low stimulus areas until you're sure, she really knows what you want from her.
Dog learn location-dependent so it is not enough to train it at one place (the dog school), you have train it at many places to make her generalise.

If you know you you trained it enough with her and it really, really, really just out of defiance (which i think is pretty unrealistic) then I'd try ignoring this kind behaviour.
perhaps wear a harness so that you don't hurt her when doing this...take her on a leash short and if she lies down just continue walking without looking at her.
this is a small dog, she has no other alternative than to follow you.
No picking the dog up during the walks, no talking/scolding, just continue to go wherever you want to go.
She shouldn't be rewarded with attention when she shows unwanted behaviour.
When she's walking next to you, then praise and perhaps let a few reward fall down next to your feet from time to time.

Reactions: Chelan

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I used to walk our dogs the way I thought a walk should go. Then I read something that made a lot of sense. Why are you out there? For you or your dog. I started letting my dogs walk me and we have a lot more fun now. They get all there smelling done and I enjoy being out doors with them. Sometimes we walk a long way other days we stop and smell the roses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts