Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My dog Ruby (mini dachshund) has this very odd behavior of hating squeakers.... As a example whenever we get a new toy for the dogs and it has a squeaker Ruby will go nuts until she has it and rips it out along with all of the stuffing. :eyeroll:

Does anyone's dog have this behavior?

Ruby also is obsessed with licking. She licks her paw the floor her toys you name it she has probably licked it.

We got her as a adult (About 4 or 5 years old) and she did have a litter of puppy's about 1 or 2 years before we got her.

I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I just want to understand why she licks so much!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Licking is often a self-soothing behavior- some dogs will do it more than others, and sometimes more nervous dogs will lick more. All three of the dogs I've had have licked to some extent, but the two Bostons were by far the worst. My current Boston will slowly lick body parts (usually hands, pant legs or feet) consistently until the person being licked tells her to stop it- she usually does it right before she starts falling asleep (and has fallen asleep mid lick), or when she's nervous (for example, she did it a lot during our first puppy class when I was holding her on my lap and wouldn't let her go meet the other puppy in the room).

Tearing stuffed animals, especially those with squeakers, is very common. My family has to be careful to buy only the most durable stuffed animals because 2 of the dogs we've had (one passed and one still around) will rip the stuffing out within the first few minutes. The whole reason dogs like squeak toys is it ties into their prey drive and gets them revved up, especially for small hunting dogs like dachshunds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.