Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone,
I am a first-time dog owner, and adopted a dog a week ago. My dog is a 1.5-yr-old male corgi. He adjusts to the new home well and seems to have a good time.

The only problem I have right now is as follows: I walk him twice per day, in the morning and in the late afternoon. Each time, he is very happy to go out. He walks well for 10-20 minutes, and then will refuse to move. It is not that he is distracted by the surrounding. He will just stand there, and refuses to move. I try various methods (e.g., pull the leash, use treats, give orders, encourage) and nothing works. At the end, I have to carry him for a few steps, take a break, and then carry him again. He is 31 lbs, so it is not an easy task. As a result, each walk takes more than 1 hour, while half of the time is spent on this "power struggle".

I googled "dog removes to move" and found several possible reasons, such as illness, tired, bored, etc. The vet checked him, and said that he is very healthy. He is definitely not tired, so he can run very fast if I throw a treat.

Have you run into similar problems? Any suggestion about how to deal with this?

Many thanks.

-Fei

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
I suspect that your dog is still shut down. It often takes adopted dogs a month or more to decompress. During that period, it's better to limit your dog's exposure to stressful situations. I think your dog is probably feeling overwhelmed by these walks.

Try googling "Decompression in adopted dogs." The advice is generally the same: let the dog rest and slowly adapt to his new surroundings. Many rescue groups will advise new owners not to walk their dogs around the neighborhood for a couple of weeks, especially if the dog can access a back yard.

If you decide to take him out, perhaps just circle the block and return within 10-12 minutes, which seems to be his threshold. You don't need to go longer than that until he's ready. He's a young dog, and I'm sure that you'll enjoy longer, more fulfilling walks with him in the future. However, for now, keep his stress level as low as possible.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes that has been my experience. I find that sticking to the same route each time and going to a peak where she can be off leash and explore at her own pace helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that. You are right: it takes some time for him to get used to the new environment.

Many thanks.

p.s., To encourage my dog to walk, would it be ok to drop treats on the path that I want the dog to take? It seems to work as he loves the food. My concern is whether he will form the bad habit of walking only when treats are offered.

-Fei

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
To be honest, I think dropping treats will lead to bad habits. Rather than use treats as a "lure," I'd suggest reserving them as a "reward." Check out kikopup's Youtube channel for information on clicker training and the correct use of treats.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I tried the dropping treats thing too; complete failure! She just walked as far as the treat. I mainly did it to save my back when I was stuck carrying her home, but as a training idea, 0 success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts