Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a 6 year old chiweenie (my first dog ever) from the rescue, and I can not get her to drink water out of a bowl. I've tried different types and sizes of bowls, multiple bowls, beef broth in water, a water fountain. None have convinced her to go near the water. I'm worried that she's constantly dehydrated. The only things that have worked to get her to drink water are 1) adding about 7oz of water to her two meals & 2) she'll sometimes drink water out of my hand. But she'll go the rest of the day without drinking anything.

Any recommendations would be welcome. Or even just reassurance that she's getting enough water from twice daily meals.

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
I'd give the rescue a call and see if they did anything differently.

If it isn't the bowl, could it be the water? Can you collect rain water, or boil water and let it go cold?

Could it be the position of the bowl - if it is in a corner it might compromise her field of vision?

What about a flat plate or saucer?

There are some foods that are high in water, like watermelon if she would eat that.

Or, just keep adding it to her food. What weight is she, to help us suggest how much she ought to have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Joanne.

There are some foods that are high in water, like watermelon if she would eat that.
I've tried quite a few fruits and veggies and she hasn't liked any of them. Will have to try watermelon sometime.

Or, just keep adding it to her food. What weight is she, to help us suggest how much she ought to have?
She's 15.4 pounds, about 5 pounds overweight (says the vet).

·
Registered
207 Posts
If it isn't the bowl, could it be the water? Can you collect rain water, or boil water and let it go cold?
This^^ If you haven't tried bottled water, distilled, RO or rainwater, it's worth a shot. I know of many pets that would rather drink rainwater or even from an aquarium over tap water 😵

1 - 4 of 4 Posts