Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Wilson is a little over a year old. We used to crate him because he chewed (my) things as a puppy and as he got older he grew out of that so we stopped crating him and he wasn't chewing things any more.

Over the past few days, he has started to chew things again... AHHH! It's not during the day though when we are at work. It's only when we come home and go out and do something after work. He always brings it by the front door to chew too.

Why is he picking up this habit all of a sudden? He knows he is bad because he won't come out of our bedroom to greet us when we get home.

HELP!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Ah, adolescence. Just give him plenty of things to chew on, a lot of dogs tend to back track on one or two things around this time. Have you tried antlers? My dog and many others seem to love them and they last a long time.

Also, he doesn't know it's bad, telling yourself that will only frustrate you more. He may seem like he does, but he really doesn't. Dogs don't understand "good" and "bad" the way we do, the understand punishment and reward. If he's been punished in the past for chewing things, he'll expect punishment (be it in the form of a low "no or a spanking). He chews because it feels good, not to spite you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! He has tons of toys, they are always scattered around the house ha.

I have tried Antlers with him before, they don't last long with him, only a few hours tops.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Thanks! He has tons of toys, they are always scattered around the house ha.

I have tried Antlers with him before, they don't last long with him, only a few hours tops.

Any other suggestions?
Only a few hours? What sort of antlers are you using? Try elk antlers, they're very strong, maybe try getting a larger one. Maybe give it to him for an hour and take it away. Really, if he chews up an antler in a few hours, you might have to work on rotating his toys so that they don't get completely destroyed.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I would go back to crating him when you leave in the evening. Make it good for him, with a stuffed kong or a tasty treat.

It might be that he is feeling anxious when you are gone. Chewing for dogs is a self-soothing activity. Keep him safe, and your stuff safe and put him in the crate.

We had to crate our young female when we left until she was a couple years old.

Certainly dogs are sensitive to being left multiple times in a day. Once, as part of a regular routine while you are at work, he seems OK with. But to leave again in the evening is upsetting for him. I know our dogs are the same way! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the tips.

He did like his crate a lot and never had a problem going in so I will start doing that if we go away at night. I would also like to keep my things and not have them chewed! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts