Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm new here! I just adopted a dog over the weekend and a few days later my boyfriend and I were walking her and he slipped on the ice, frightened her and she bolted. He chased her yelling at her which probably made it worse..

Anyway she's been returned to us safely thank god.

My question is: prior to her little solo adventure around the neighbourhood she was very vocal, anxious and excitable just learning her new home. After she ran away, her whole attitude is different. She won't eat unless I bring the bowl to her and she won't leave our carpeted area where we normally hangout. To get her to walk she's very nervous and doesn't get that excited to go outside. I want to train her but she couldnt care less about treats or her toys and I can't lure her out of that area. Shes a big chewer but has no interest in her chew toys. Since she was returned all she does is sleep. Is my dog depressed? What should I do?

Please help!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
How long have you had her and how long has she been back after running away? It sounds like it hasn't been long. Many adopted dogs take a while, months to fully settle into a new home. I'd just let her settle in. I would also leave her food where you want to feed her. A healthy dog will not starve itself and dogs can easily skip a day or two with no harm. I'm sure your BF chasing her, yelling scared her. Have him drop her treats, find something super yummy. Cheese, dehydrated liver and meat are normally big hits. Little tiny pieces are all that is needed. He can also take over the feeding once she is eating where you want her to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts