Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rottweiler. She loves to pull a lot on the leash and wants to always run ahead of me. I don't like that. I want my dog to walk beside me and stop when I tell her to stay.

I can't get her to grab that idea. Any help?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
What do you do now when the dog is pulling? What leash and collar are you using? I used to use retractable but found this was only adding to the problem.

Basic leash training is pretty easy. What you do is turn the opposite way of where your dog is walking and start walking that direction. Your dog will turn and walk the same direction as you, if she pulls at the edge of the leash do the same thing again, turn around and walk the opposite way. Eventually your dog is going to stop pulling and when she does click and treat. You have to get her under control before you start with heeling.

Does she know her basics sit, stay, down? It helps to do these while on a walk as well to get the dogs attention on you and what you are asking.

I do allow my dogs some time in the green belts to sniff around and run because dogs do get so excited when they see new surroundings and smell new dogs. :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Yes there are a few ways-correcting (jerking the leash) if they pull and saying no, then good when they don't.

You can 'be a tree' and just freeze when they pull, then when they turn to you and it's slacks, praise and continue (You do look weird to others watching though!).

And the turn thing that pawz said-I found that works best :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Yes there are a few ways-correcting (jerking the leash) if they pull and saying no, then good when they don't.

You can 'be a tree' and just freeze when they pull, then when they turn to you and it's slacks, praise and continue (You do look weird to others watching though!).

And the turn thing that pawz said-I found that works best :)
I forgot this one! This works very well too, if the turning and walking starts to make you dizzy after a few turns lol.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
the tree thing NEVER worked for me..6 dogs deep...I know people its worked for, but it never worked for me...

The method paws suggest IMO is the best way to go. Turning and walking another direction combined with praise/treat when in the correct position.

I tried the be a tree thing on Kiwi for a month solid and got nowhere (she is not food driven) and then I tried the other method (sans food) and had her walking loose leash in minutes.

forgot to add, when I used to use corrections, I found that collar pops didn't work well ...and either over stimulated the dog (making it worse), or made then afraid and shutdown.

also a good no pull harness in the meantime can help while you train whatever is apropriate.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried walking away trick. She just doesn't care. Keeps on pulling in the other direction till I have to go to her first. But I'll keep trying.

I have a dog collar and a chain for a leash. I need the chain because she tore off her other leash before.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I've tried walking away trick. She just doesn't care. Keeps on pulling in the other direction till I have to go to her first. But I'll keep trying.

I have a dog collar and a chain for a leash. I need the chain because she tore off her other leash before.

wait her out! :)...try to keep the pace fast and fun...talk to her alot... I say "this way" when I turn around and then make a bunch of happy noises so they will follow at first...

she torn a regular leash in half? :eek:

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
wait her out! :)...try to keep the pace fast and fun...talk to her alot... I say "this way" when I turn around and then make a bunch of happy noises so they will follow at first...

she torn a regular leash in half? :eek:
This is great advice! We had to do something similar with our dog when we got to the "heel" command. He would start to lose interest so when we incorporated "quickly" and "slow" he was more interested.

I do agree, keep up with it and don't give in :) Oh and keep your cool, as hard as it is you gotta stay calm and not yell at her or get angry with her. I am not saying you do, but I have been there and I got angry a lot because I was not patient enough at first. Now he walks like a good gentleman lol

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
This is great advice! We had to do something similar with our dog when we got to the "heel" command. He would start to lose interest so when we incorporated "quickly" and "slow" he was more interested.

I do agree, keep up with it and don't give in :) Oh and keep your cool, as hard as it is you gotta stay calm and not yell at her or get angry with her. I am not saying you do, but I have been there and I got angry a lot because I was not patient enough at first. Now he walks like a good gentleman lol
it is so hard to stay cool when you are training this, in the first place a rot is a big, strong dog, they can literally drag you down the street.....but it is really important. i've totally been there and i have the hardest time with this myself! you can do it. i also have the best luck with changing directions as pawz suggested and i just bought a front-clip harness that is working out really well. i've also learned that trying to take my dog for a walk when he is full of energy and then trying to train him to walk on a loose leash is really hard! i have been playing ball with him for a bit in the yard then going for a short training walk and with the extra energy burned off, he is way better able to focus. practicing in a place that your dog is familiar with may make it easier for you to show your dog the want you want with less distractions.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

try the no pull harness thing for sure.....and the "tree", if you can be patient a few times with the tree at this point, your dog will eventually start to get it.

oh and the goal of the direction changing is not to jerk the dog around, that would be more of a correction, the idea is move a pace and change directions to get the dog to focus on you. she can't be pulling you down the street and prepared for you to change direction at the same time. you want to really get her excited about you and to want to be where you are, it is a sort of game for her.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lots of good suggestions so far...

I use a combination of several methods. I shorten the leash and hold it at my stomache. If the dog reaches the end of the leash I stop moving forward, say "this way" and immediately change direction walking at a fast pace in the opposite direction. I then reward the dog, at my left pants seam, when he/she catches up. Repeat.

For large strong dogs, it's easiest to keep good control if you keep the leash shortened and hold it close to your body...this gives you strength, not only from your arms, but also from the core of your body. Much nicer than having your arm ripped out of the socket when the dog lunges ahead with full force.

I think stopping everytime there is tension is imperrative, even if it's only a brief stop. The dog needs to learn that tension=stop and they soon stop themselves at the slightest bit of pressure. The "be a tree" method is too boring for most which is why I combine it with changing direction. The dog's seem to get it faster too.

In addition to these, I also like to pull the leash forward and reward the dog for moving with the pressure instead of against it. This makes it very easy to change directions quickly if you have a strong puller.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I just thought of what worked for Mikey-he was a BIG puller.

We had our first obedience class one-on-one at a dog park by the trainer's house.

We arrived early and let him play for an hour and he was EXHAUSTED. When we taught him heel -he heeled. And now he heels-perfectly!

We told the trainer he was just complying from exhaustion and she said no matter-that's a great time to train! And it really really worked for us!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I am working on loose leash right now too. I have found that the tree can work but I just don't have the patience for it. I use the turn and go the other way method...But I think the key is timing...you need to turn quickly as soon as he reaches the end of the leash and start walking the other way. If he is already pulling with all his strength it is going to be difficult for you to turn without yanking him. That is why you need to be quick. And make fun talk to him like others have said. I talked to my dogs on walks even if they arent pulling....I will say Okay going left or okay this way or whatever. Right now with Kimber I use LOTS of treats!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts