Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys? New to the forum.

Well my family has a 5yr old male Fox Wire Terrier that was never really socialized to much around other dogs. Ive noticed when I take him for walks he will be friendly towards large dogs or not even give them the time of day but when it comes to a dog his size or a smaller dog its complete trouble. He usually doesn't even make any noise but goes up silently with his head bowed down and just attacks. Can anyone explain this to me? Ive looked all over the internet for other people with a similar problem but haven't found anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
He usually doesn't even make any noise but goes up silently with his head bowed down and just attacks.
This is your dog's warning!

He very well may exhibit other behaviors like stiffening of the body or a hard stare before he even approaches another dog. Watch for these and other behaviors. If you see them, then you know what is coming and you have enough time to walk away. You don't really want to chance it and watch how he approaches. At that point it is to late!

Since he has attacked other dogs several times you really need to prevent any future fights. Stop allowing him to interact with strange dogs, and profressional help (a behaviorist) is always a god idea!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer but if you read my post thoroughly, I never did mention that my dog attacked other dogs several times and I don't let him interact with small dogs or dogs his size anymore. I just learned this through experiences walking him. I am just curious if anyone can explain why my dog tends to be aggressive towards smaller or dogs his size and is completely friendly towards larger dogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Thanks for your answer but if you read my post thoroughly, I never did mention that my dog attacked other dogs several times and I don't let him interact with small dogs or dogs his size anymore.
Sorry if I implied anything I should not have! I did not mean to!:)

You did not say anywhere in your first post that you no longer allow him to interact with strange dogs, so I had no way of knowing!;) But I am glad that you have already done this! :)

As for reasons for him to attack other dogs... well it could be several different things.
He could be afraid or nervous, but he also may just not be good with other dogs!
I can't really say for sure.

Thats why a behaviorist would be helpful. They would be able to see your dogs reaction and then give you advise.:)

·
Banned
288 Posts
Your dog doesn't show threats to larger dogs because he knows they could EAT him if they wanted to. he is undersocialized which means he is going to pop off at dogs his size to establish that he is in charge. Thru his lack of socialization he never learned the appropriate canine communication skills to get these messages across with out being overly phyiscal. This is a very trainable issue. I had a rat terrier client that was like this because he was beat up by the alrger dogs in the training class so he learned to pop off at first meetings which would put off most other dogs he came across and they'd leave him alone. Kinda like the person that acts kinda nutso in order to get people to leave them alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts