Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 mo old lab was alone in my room for about an hour. When i came back i found one of my picture frames on the floor chewed to hell. About half of the frame is missing. The frame in itself is small, about 3"x5". Its like particle board. But theres a little chip of the glass missing, about twice the size of a pencil eraser but half the width. I checked her mouth and theres no blood, but i checked the floor and cant find it. Shes been left alone for alot longer before and has never done anything. Today was different. What do i do? Just monitor for blood in stool? I haven't given her, her night time yet, do i hold off or give it to her?

·
Registered
286 Posts
i would actually feed her, because im thinking, if she did eat the glass, it travelling through her system on an empty stomach could do allot more damage. also if she is a dog that likes to eat grass, take her out, and let her eat as much as possible.
id check her poop for the next 2-3 days, for blood, and to see if she has passed it.
i would also say contact a vet, they could maybe induce vomiting, i dont know if a small piece of glass like that would show up on x-rays.... i hope everything will turn out ok.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried contacting my vet and they are closed. Tried emergency number and it takes me to a generic voicemail. She doeskin like to eat grass soo

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so on a side note, she wants more of the frame. When i had it sitting to get the picture taken she came up and took it.

On the serious end. Im feeding her now, i put water with the food, im hoping itll help soften up the frame making it easier to pass. Shes due to number 2, anytime between now and the next 4 hours.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Feed her bread, the idea being that it'll help catch and pad the glass if she ate any, and keep trying to contact your vet. Call around to different vets and try their after hours number. Leave messages they should call you back fairly quickly. I've done that in the past for a DF member who's dog ate a pen, they were in the middle of Sandy and didn't have a way to contact the vet. So I called around to the ones here and got a call back from one.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Should i still feed bread now thay its been ober 2 hours since this happened

It wouldn't hurt, but I"m not sure if it'd help if the glass has passed out of the stomach.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
IMO there is no escaping a trip to the Vets. You need X-Rays to determine how much glass, and how big the pieces are. Too much risk IMO to just wait it out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
believe it or not, glass ingestion, though pretty rare in dogs, is rarely harmful... glass usually passes through the GI tract without damaging anything (until the end sometimes). It does help for it to be part of a meal, though. The spot that seems to cause the most problem is the anus, which can get cut as the glass passes through... It is nearly impossible to find smaller pieces of glass on both radiographs and ultrasound (unless you are really good at the latter). Looking for glass in surgery is also very frustrating and often unsuccessful, unless the ingested piece is pretty large. I did recover an entire microscope slide from a terrier's stomach once (swallowed whole somehow). Most of the time when a client thinks their dog ate glass, they are mistaken... but sometimes they are correct, though little can be done and rarely is there ever any repercussions other than a nick in the anus (if even that).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well its been a few days since, she seems to be doing just fine, as energetic as ever! I did find pieces of the frame in her poop, nothing big. Didnt find the glass although it was a small piece and i didnt dig to thoroughly through the poop. But anyways i think it was a crisis averted. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts