Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a cherokee shaman that we have a wolf in our house. We bought a puppy for my birthday in a very poor area. When we asked the lady which breed he was, she said the mother is a husky. I asked what breed the father was but she said she had no clue, even though she is related to the owner of the father. Usually this would be a red-card to take the puppy but he was awfully cute and covered in fleas.
We discovered he had every kind of parasites and a bad case of fleas (which are cured) and we still wanted to know what breed he was. We didn't get him blood tested since we didn't have the time, but we noticed the older he got, his eyes got very yellow. He's been very hard to train and has an appearance of a wolf.
We need to know if he is wolf or not ASAP, since it isn't legal to own one without registration

I know wolf dogs have black noses, his nose IS black, it may appear brown but I guarantee it's black. Sorry for the bad lighting

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Black noses are common in dogs in general. It's not a feature unique to wolfdogs...
As far as breed guesses its hard to tell based off a single pic but based on just the pic above I see german shepherd x husky personally.:)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Its really hard to tell from the photo you posted. Do you have any side view photo's and one of his face from further back. IPO from what I can see, if he has wolf in him, its not a lot. If I remember correctly you can get that color eye from some breeds, I think it may be a form of amber. I could be wrong but the face says german shepherdy to me. But some other pictures might help.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not a wolfdog or wolf. His markings and coloring are all wrong, shape of the head/muzzle is wrong. I could keep going.

You have a husky mix, just from the one photo looks like a shepherd possibly as well.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
looks like a normal husky mix to me. probably mixed with some other nordic or spitzbreed (Schäfi?).
my dog has for sure no wolf in him and his nose is still black... it's pretty common for dogs. :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
No, that's a dog, don't worry. If you're that paranoid get a DNA test but I'm pretty sure it's a husky mix. Huskies aren't easy to train, so that's not odd.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I've had many Huskies, and Husky Gsd'. Not a wolf, and wouldn't tell people you have a wolf dog for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the late reply, we actually got him blood tested, and he does have wolf in him! We got him registered and he's currently at the vets

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm curious as to how accurate the blood tests are for determining this. I'm not 2nd guessing, just genuinely curious. Was it the vet that tested?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I'm curious as to how accurate the blood tests are for determining this. I'm not 2nd guessing, just genuinely curious. Was it the vet that tested?
It must be because the at-home DNA kits from Wisdom Panel don't include wild canids. They must have to send blood or a swab sample out to be tested more specifically. I'm sure it's easier to determine wolf content than breeds.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
It's actually pretty hard to determine if a dog has any wolf in it via DNA testing, let alone how much. The test basically tells you if your dog's breed is in the system of breeds that the lab has samples of. If your dog's sample doesn't match any of the samples they have, they say it might be a wolfdog. Honestly, by what little I can see in that one picture, that doesn't look like a wolfdog at all and claiming that it is might be more trouble than it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Iirc UC Davis has a dna test to test for wolf dogs (I would tend to think that might actually be reliable), but there's no way one can get results that quickly... Assuming the turn around is similar to their other genetic testing it would likely take 2 weeks or so...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Iirc UC Davis has a dna test to test for wolf dogs (I would tend to think that might actually be reliable), but there's no way one can get results that quickly... Assuming the turn around is similar to their other genetic testing it would likely take 2 weeks or so...
Did I mention what date I got the blood test? Please don't assume I used some generic kit online or I didn't do this long ago. I can show you my records and all if you really want to get that personal with me (Sorry, this isn't directed to you, it's directed to everyone. Haha, I regret the rude approach)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry if that sounded harsh, but I feel mocked since I 'got the blood test so fast'. I understand the forum didn't mention me getting blood test, but it's ILLEGAL to own a wolf-dog, and I didn't want to mention what i've done so far so people can figure out my location by record. Sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the picture of the father, he's timber/german, high content wolf. I am pressing charges of the owner for abusive behavior of the dog, since the own of my dogs father has been used for breeding for money.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm guessing that they're very accurate since the difference between wolf DNA is and dog DNA is probably several orders of magnitude larger than the difference between the DNA of different dog breed.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts