Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this but I have a question, so basically, my dog is a Staffordshire bull terrier and is 10 months old and had been neutered, he loves playing with other dogs and at the age he is now he plays with all dogs. However, he has a few problems, he dosent like it when the other dogs owner tries to take their dog away or put it on the lead after they play, when the owner is trying to catch their dog my dog will start growling and barking at the other dog, at the moment he just carried on playing but more roughly than usual until I catch him, then he's fine , but it's really embarrassing and when it happens he dosent listen at all and I'm worried he will start being more aggressive in this situation.
I don't want to stop him from playing with other dogs as he loves it and he thrives when he is playing. Has anyone had this problem? I really don't know what to do with him because he is neutered and I've never heard of anyone with the same problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,

I have heard of this.
You could try on the leash work around the park, keeping his attention on you with a clicker.
You treat & click when passing dogs and this draws his main attention to you the handler.
Kills the excitement of play a bit. Switch clicker to a whistle after a week or two, till the dog gets concept. Keep on lunge lead while training. You can then whistle for recall, staffies love reward based training.
Young Staffies can be boisterous as a rule but by no means untameable.
Failing that I would get a nose lead, like a subtle looking muzzle for the just in case time, that aggressive behaviour gets out of hand.
Always better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just wanted to point out that neutering to remove aggression is largely a myth. Neutering removes aggression only if the aggression is based on sexual frustration. In this case, as in most cases, the aggression is not about anything sexual. Only training will change the behaviour.

I like what @Basil1985 said. Work on the recall outside of the dog park. I'd probably improve on the recall before bringing him back to the dog park. If you see him start to get 'worked up' at the dog park again, I'd call him to you and then give him a bunch of treats in a row to thoroughly distract and desensitize him to what is happening around him.

You may need to assess the situation and put a mouth piece on him just to be on the safe side if you think there is a chance that his anxiety gets the best of him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and yeah I just wanted to put it out there as people always say that neutering helps (it calmed him down a bit but not around other dogs)
I think I'll just keep him on a lunge line and work on his recall and when he's better at that then call him back when other dog owners try to get their dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts