Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so we got our dog from Dog's Trust. My boyfriend wanted a dog and I wanted to rescue one instead of getting a puppy as I thought it was better to give a dog a second chance.
He picked her out and went to visit her loads more than me and when we were happy we took her home.
He bought everything for her, feeds her and takes her for walks and he's in the house with her most of the time as he works from home.
It's been about two months and she just seems to gravitate towards me. She stares at me in the room and comes over to me without me asking which she doesn't seem to do to him.
It's got to the stage where he's really jealous. He can't stand being in the same room as the two of us and says he regrets getting her and that he hates her. It's breaking my heart to hear him say that about a dog. Other than that she's perfect.
She's house trained, extremely obedient to both of us and everyone comments on how good she is and what a lovely nature she has.
He shouts at her now when she comes to see me as it hurts him so much. He says it's not what he wanted from a dog and he's really unhappy but I can't just let him shout at her as she's doing nothing wrong. He wont even try any more, he says he has no bond with her but she's absolutely perfect.
I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like your boyfriend needs training. :) Seriously, it may be that since your boyfriend is home all day that the dog is simply excited to see you when you get home. He certainly shouldn't scold her for going to see his girlfriend. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
His frustration is just going to discourage her from bonding with him which sounds like it's going to end up as a perpetual cycle. Does he do much training or play games with her? I find that they are great bonding experiences! But like TJWadeJ said, it could just be that him being home all day makes you seem more exciting.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
What breed is she? Some dogs are just one person dogs. When my boyfriend comes home from work my dog (a rescue toy fox terrier) will just continue sleeping. When I come home she gets so excited and sprints around the house. She follows me everywhere. I think he's a little jealous, but technically she's my dog, so it doesn't bother him as much.

Some ideas:

1) He should do some positive reinforcement training with her using food or play (whichever she finds motivating) as rewards. Trick training, obedience, etc. If there are fun classes in your area, like agility, rally obedience, etc, that might help them bond and have fun together. He can start clicker training her. The point is to bond and have fun though, don't start taking it so seriously that he gets frustrated if she's not picking up a trick! The shouting and any other corrections have to stop or she will continue to form negative associations with him.

2) Figure out her favorite things to do- playing fetch, going hiking, swimming, whatever- and then he should do something with her at least once a week, or whenever's possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts