Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My German shepherd has randomly started yelping in pain. It happened first when I was giving him a tablet before feeding him (he's been having some bowl problems) and as I was leaning over him to give it to him he yelped in pain, I thought I must have stepped on his foot or something but was sure I hadnt. He ate all his dinner. I shrugged it off, and then about 15 minutes later we were in the park and he was fine, just perky and normal, when he randomly cried again, I thought he must have stepped on something! Checked all his paws, felt all down his legs looking for signs of pain, absolutely nothing! Walked home like normal. Then later in the evening he was being strange, he looked depressed, he yelped in pain again, I started poking and prodding all over his body to find see if i'd hit the painful spot and got nothing, he came over to see me and I rubbed his shoulder and he shrunk away and cried in pain again! Every time I ask him to sit he lays down on the floor and hides, my dad said to see if he'll eat cheese (he loves cheese) and he wouldn't eat it. My nan touched his paw and he yelped. But when I touched them after he didn't care. He's restless, he normally sleeps upstairs and never goes downstairs unless he wants to go in the garden, now he'll follow me upstairs, lay down, get right back up and pace back and forth downstairs, I'm so worried, I'm gonna take him to the vets tomorrow but can anyone give me any advice?

·
Premium Member
10,814 Posts
I'm so sorry that your dog is in so much pain but am glad that you're taking him to the vet tomorrow! It could be many things causing it from a slipped disc to a pulled muscle, to something more serious.

Since you don't know what's causing it your best bet for tonight is to fix him up a comfortable spot to rest downstairs, going up and down the stairs could make things worse if it's something like a slipped disc. Keep him as calm and quiet as possible, and monitor him to make sure that he doesn't get any worse. If it seems like he's getting worse then take him in to the e-vet, otherwise get him in to the vet first thing in the morning.

·
Banned
6,273 Posts
I'm so sorry that your dog is in so much pain but am glad that you're taking him to the vet tomorrow! It could be many things causing it from a slipped disc to a pulled muscle, to something more serious.

Since you don't know what's causing it your best bet for tonight is to fix him up a comfortable spot to rest downstairs, going up and down the stairs could make things worse if it's something like a slipped disc. Keep him as calm and quiet as possible, and monitor him to make sure that he doesn't get any worse. If it seems like he's getting worse then take him in to the e-vet, otherwise get him in to the vet first thing in the morning.
Fully agree there. let us know how he gets on please

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went through the same thing with my pom when he was 6 or 7 months old. He would be playing and acting normal then periododically yelp in pain. I felt all over him for injury but got nothing. I took him to the vet and she did the same and just like that car that never makes the "strange noise" when you take it to the machanic, he made no noise while at the vet. She seemed to think it was his rotating patella that was causing him pain but after a day or 2 he stopped yelping and I never did find out for sure what was causing it. He is now 5 and has had no more issues. I hope it's nothing serious with your guy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the exact same thing that is happening to my german shepherd! What did you find out? Please post to let me know. Im very worried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts