Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have pom-spitz, just shy of three years old (not spayed, scheduled next month), and shes recently picked up a habit of growling at me during the night. It will happen at least 3/4 times per night, every other night. It usually happens when I am changing/adjusting position during sleep, or when I unconsciously roll closer to her (most of the time shes resting on my pillow). It seems whatever I am doing is disturbing/annoying her, although this has never been an issue and quite frankly shouldn't be.

As you can imagine, having to think twice about turning over in your own bed is totally unacceptable, and such an issue needs to be addressed as soon as possible. I presume most of the answers will suggest not allowing her on to the bed, but I was wondering if there are any other ways to go about it. I do actually want her in bed, so hopefully there is something out there that I can work on. Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
George has separation anxiety he wouldn't sleep alone when he first came to us so we placed his special blanket on the bed and he was only allowed on his blanket but he was happy with that. We progressed to having his bed on the floor right next to me ,we put his special blanket in it and he now sleeps in his own bed quite happily. you say you don't mind your dog being in bed with you( or on the bed with you) so maybe giving her her own space on the bed is a better idea , that way she and you can get a proper good night sleep without being disturbed by one another

·
Registered
111 Posts
My dog does this too - he's too big to share the bed anyway but we can't share the sofa with him either as he'd sprawl all over us and then growl or worse if we just twitched. Bear in mind that this will be stressful for her as well as you, otherwise she wouldn't feel the need to growl. I doubt there's a way of 'fixing' this with her sleeping on the bed - but do let us know if you find an answer!

A halfway house suggestion would be to put something like a blanket box at the end of the bed, or even by the side, making her up a bed on that, and training her to sleep on there. It might not work though... she might shuffle over to join you in the night.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
I've had this too - my dog liked to share but I couldn't twitch a toe without him grumbling. Although he would just jump off and back to his own bed. The only solution I could think of is like Judy suggested, a box on your bed with a dog bed in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts