Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday my dog was in the backyard and I heard her retching. She eventually threw up, but then continued to gag- loudly every few minutes. After 40 minutes of this, I rushed her to the ER. They sedated her, examined her throat, which was irritated and took x rays of her stomach to be sure it hadn't flipped.

They sent me home with medication to squirt in her throat and put her on Prilosec. Since then she hasn't thrown up, but she has gagged several times throughout the day. Yesterday I was playing with her, and the threw her head back to catch a toy and that action caused her to gag. I think it's something more to do with her throat than her stomach.

I go back to the vet tomorrow for a re-check, but wondered if anyone has experienced this with their dog.
Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oh dear, poor pup.
Have you seen any plant material in the stomach contents? Or anything else that should not have been in there?

Look in your yard if there is a plant that might be an irritant. Or perhaps she tried to catch/eat a bug (some caterpillars are quite toxic). Hopefully she did not eat anything laced with a chemical. If her throat is irritated by a substance it will take a while for the area to return back to normal.

I would soften her kibble to make it easier on her throat, and perhaps give her some cool soft foods as well. The coolness will help soothe the tissue and reduce swelling and discomfort.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. This all started on Monday. At the ER they did a throat exam and nothing was stuck. I've had her on soft food, and two medications- one for her throat and one for her stomach. Yesterday she did really well- only gagged a couple times and ate normally. Today she has diarrhea and threw up her breakfast and gagged for 10 minutes afterward. UGH. Poor girl. I have been documenting everything as it happens and have a vet appointment tomorrow at 11 am, so will take that with me. It breaks my heart to see her in such discomfort.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Boil some rice in low sodium broth, boil it with more liquid than you normally would and boil it to be very soft and mushy. This will help her with the diarrhea, and it will be nice on her throat as well. Hopefully she will keep it down, so her throat gets a rest.

If she is otherwise behaving normal, no neurological symptoms, no fever then I think it's just a matter of waiting it out for her digestive tract to get back to normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to rush her back to the ER again yesterday because she vomited 3 times in a 4 hour period, and was gagging violently. The vet gave her Cerenia (sp) which controls vomiting. She's been ok since then. I have to wonder if the surgery she had two weeks ago to remove a tumor from her liver has something to do with this, but the vets at the ER (which is also where I had the surgery performed) don't seem to think they are related. I have a call into the doctor who actually performed the surgery to discuss further. This poor dog has been through a lot.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yikes! Did your dog receive any anti-histamines at all?

I've been looking up stinging caterpillars and to me this is still a possibility, that your dog might have eaten something that is still causing his intestinal tract to react.
Some caterpillars have toxins on them, or even hairs with hooks that once they break off cause a toxin to be released. Some substances can even affect the dog's heart!

Has the rash in his throat gotten any better? I am so worried about your dog! :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you- no antihistamines. Since they gave her the Cerenia yesterday, she's been fine. No gagging or vomiting, and eating pretty normally. Her stools are firming up also. I've got her on 3 different things right now, so I have to trust my vets. Believe me if it doesn't keep getting better over the weekend I'll be taking her back in immediately and I'll ask them about bugs/caterpillars. Although...there are no trees in my back yard. Most of it is concrete and then I have some wood chips with succulents. I live in California so we don't have too many bugs here. Thank you for all of your concern- it's very nice of you!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you for the update, I am very relieved that his digestive issues are clearing up. :thumbsup:
Hoping he will continue to improve :)

We have quite a lot of bugs in my area. Lots of trees, lakes and rivers. When we still had our apple tree in the back yard we kept getting those huge spiderwebby kind of caterpillar nests on the branches. Lots of earth, greenery and water here, great environment for bugs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
:D Did you visit Quebec City? We are actually located near Ottawa. Spring has been mainly cold and wet here. I'm sure it is much nicer where you are :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts