Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tried extensively googling this and I’m coming up blank.

A quick background on my pup. My dog is a 5.5 y/o male Plott Hound mix, with one of the calmest and least interested temperaments I’ve ever seen. I’ve had him since he was 2.5 y/o, he was sick for the longest until we finally found a food that calmed his digestive tract, and he’s always been extremely lazy.

The problem: My dog keeps causing extreme reactions from other dogs, be it both aggressive or overly affectionate. My dog has been attacked without warning by 2 separate dogs, like walked up on them and within a SECOND been latched onto by them by the teeth. No warning growls no aggressive behavior leading up to it. One of the dogs I don’t know the history of but the other I do and that dog is very nice, never been aggressive before. The other extreme reaction is other male dogs seem to be beyond the normal limits of interested in him. I know male dogs try to dominate, but my dogs brings out an obsessive behavior with it. He brings this behavior out of dogs at dog parks and I’m told by the owners “oh wow he’s never done this before!” I trust strangers as far as I can throw them but it happens too often to not be a coincidence. A specific instance, my fathers dog, NEVER shown interest in mounting or dominating any other dog before, male or female, cannot stop trying to get on top of my dog and won’t stop trying to lick his genitals. It’s completely obsessive. He also tried doing to ME, I imagine because I smell like my dog? I’m wondering if my dog may have a hormonal imbalance causing these intense reactions? I should note both of the dogs that attacked mine were also male. Please help! We have a vet appointment in 2 weeks but I’d like to go into the appointment with some solid things to ask questions about!

·
Super Moderator
3,720 Posts
Is this a new thing? It can happen when dogs get a UTI. Make sure to take a urine sample with you to the vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a new thing? It can happen when dogs get a UTI. Make sure to take a urine sample with you to the vet.
It’s been an issue pretty much since I’ve had him, so 3 years? I don’t normally have him around other dogs that often and when I do they are typically female. So I haven’t paid too much attention to the issue until recently when he’s been around more male dogs than usual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts