Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really not sure what to do about his itchiness at this point, I mean it isn't super bad, but I feel like it is sort of consistent. How much itching is too much itching?

I thought it was his dog food, we were feeding him Science Diet, now he's on Earthborn. Could he be allergic to chicken?

He doesn't have fleas, I groom him everyday and check for flea dirt while im at it.

The insides of his ears are suupper itchy, but look fine. I will gently rub the inside of his ears with my knuckles and he will lean into my hand.

He also bites his paws and back legs sometimes. Is this normal?? :(

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I thought it was his dog food, we were feeding him Science Diet, now he's on Earthborn. Could he be allergic to chicken?

I would suspect the chicken. That is an easy thing to check. Grains are another thing. I would try another meat and grain free to see if it changes the itching. Itching is a big problem because it can get infected. If dogs are healthy they don't itch. Read ingredients make sure the food you switch to does not have chicken or chicken fat in it. Here are two good choices.
http://www.zignature.com/product_range_dog_dry.html
http://www.petcurean.com/for-dogs/go/

·
Registered
368 Posts
It still amazes me how often people jump to suspect the food when their dogs are itchy. Yes, it COULD be the food, but statistically its far more likely to be atopy or some environmental allergy (even aside from fleas). many dogs are simply allergic, as people are, to their surroundings (mostly the plant life, but house dust mites, pollutants, fabric softeners, soils, etc. are also implicated many times). Itching is never normal.. .but it is very common. Itching a little could be some minor irritant.. .but scratching and biting most of the day is definitely a sign of some sort of allergy. Many many options are available for allergy sufferers… but unfortunately there is no easy way to find out what your dog is allergic to… some trial and error, some trying of safe products used for allergies is often needed to stumble upon the answer, or seeing a dermatologist or your regular vet can be useful to guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It still amazes me that no one seems in the least bit interested in finding out *why* a dog is itching, ie the root cause of the problem, food or environmental irritants are the trigger for the problem, not the cause. This is an auto-immune issue regardless of the trigger and a healthy dog who does not suffer from auto-immunity does not react to proteins in their food or to environmental irritants.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dog has seasonal allergies and in the late summer she starts biting and chewing her feet a lot, to the point that the hair is gone and the skin is bright red. I give her Benedryl (the people kind) and it helps a lot. When its at the worst I give her a quarter tablet of prednisone once daily too but that makes her really thirsty so I don't like to use it unless I have to.

My daughter works in a vet office anad she says there are other pills that many dog owners are very happy with but I haven't tried them yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This sounds like a diet issue, grains in the dog food could be causing all of the listed issues, From itchy Skin to Biting/licking paws. My dog had similar issues, but after I placed him on a Raw Food diet all of the symptoms went away a few weeks later. Also to relive his/her paws I would suggest "Paw Soother" I would head over to Pit Bull Nutrition For a full explanation. Also you can pick up the items you need to cure this issue if you choose to. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It still amazes me that no one seems in the least bit interested in finding out *why* a dog is itching, ie the root cause of the problem, food or environmental irritants are the trigger for the problem, not the cause. This is an auto-immune issue regardless of the trigger and a healthy dog who does not suffer from auto-immunity does not react to proteins in their food or to environmental irritants.
Im interested in what youre explaining. Where can I get more info about this?

·
Registered
662 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts