Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've recently adopted a 3-yr old Pit Bull Terrier from our local county shelter. She is sweet and adorable and very well-trained. She's crated during the day, and when I get home from work she's a bundle of energy so I take her for a walk. The problem is so walks SO fast, I find myself having to run to keep up with her. Then I'm sweating and panting and miserable. Any way to get her to slow down?
I'm new at this :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been making some progress (after struggling) with my own energetic 6 month old Lab/Pit mix. You probably have a bigger issue given the age (a more entrenched behavior), but my suggestion would be to find a booooring place (for me it's my backyard, which is large enough for short circular walks--even more boring). There you can practice (you, too!) how to walk as a team.

I had tried everything (except pinch collars). Halti harness (some success), stop until she stops pulling (I'm big enough that she won't pull me anyway), various "heel" techniques, and so on. Going back to a simple flat collar and leash and practicing in my backyard is the only thing that really worked. We are also working on "look", where I periodically (while walking) ask her to look up at me. Finally, once out on the "real life" route, I started doing 180 and 90 degree turns (when safe) the second she started pulling ahead. The point of this (which I also practiced in my backyard) was to get her to realize she's not walking where she wants to, but that she has to stay in sync with and pay attention to me. It took a few walks, but she's got it now.

Also, once your dog gets to a point of sufficient improvement, go ahead and slacken that leash way out at various points in the walk and let him move ahead. Then call him back. Make the walk fun and interesting for him, too. Let him know he's not a prisoner in it, so he doesn't feel like he has to pull to get to what he wants to all the time.

And before I forget, lots of treats and praise when he's doing it right.

The biggest challenge will be other animals and people. Keep your eyes peeled to see them before she does, if you can, and get out a treat you can stick in front of her nose the instant she starts getting "interested." Then, "look," and so on. Reverse direction if all else fails.

Above all, remind yourself it's a long process, often one with setbacks. I was getting really frustrated myself, and I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Hi all, I've recently adopted a 3-yr old Pit Bull Terrier from our local county shelter. She is sweet and adorable and very well-trained. She's crated during the day, and when I get home from work she's a bundle of energy so I take her for a walk. The problem is so walks SO fast, I find myself having to run to keep up with her. Then I'm sweating and panting and miserable. Any way to get her to slow down?
I'm new at this :)
Is there anywhere you can let your dog run off the lead/leash? Explore a little in woods maybe?

Unless you are an Olympic athlete, there is no way you can match the dog's pace or stamina. Especially after if it has been couped up in a cage all day.

We are an older couple with an active dog. We walk six to ten miles a day. The dog does several times that running in and out of woods sniffing out what he can find and galloping around playing with other dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts