Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'm very worried about my dog Lyle, he's a Poodle-Bichon. Lately he's been vomiting almost every day, once or twice per day. It is typically during the night or early morning. He is a very stubborn eater and sometimes refuses to eat, but he will eat if I hand feed him. He still accepts table scraps, treats, and will occasionally eat his meals later in the day.

The vomiting typically has a yellow tint to it since his stomach is empty (bile), but last night he threw up and portions of his dinner were in it. I thought that ruled out his stomach being too empty, but I'm not sure. His feces are sometimes solid, but for the last two days they've been very malleable and are sometimes coated with a rich-brown/reddish tint (It does not look like blood at all).

We have tried switching his food, but we might switch him to a corn-free and grain free food. Is there anything else we can try to help balance out his stomach? I've read some recommendations such as yogurt or antacid on here before.

Otherwise, he seems fairly normal and plays a lot. He still runs on his walks too!

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Have you taken him to your vet? If not, start there before you start giving anything OTC or switching up foods, etc.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm very worried about my dog Lyle, he's a Poodle-Bichon. Lately he's been vomiting almost every day, once or twice per day. It is typically during the night or early morning. He is a very stubborn eater and sometimes refuses to eat, but he will eat if I hand feed him. He still accepts table scraps, treats, and will occasionally eat his meals later in the day.

The vomiting typically has a yellow tint to it since his stomach is empty (bile), but last night he threw up and portions of his dinner were in it. I thought that ruled out his stomach being too empty, but I'm not sure. His feces are sometimes solid, but for the last two days they've been very malleable and are sometimes coated with a rich-brown/reddish tint (It does not look like blood at all).

We have tried switching his food, but we might switch him to a corn-free and grain free food. Is there anything else we can try to help balance out his stomach? I've read some recommendations such as yogurt or antacid on here before.

Otherwise, he seems fairly normal and plays a lot. He still runs on his walks too!

Thank you.
Sounds like maybe meat intolerance. It upsets the stomach. I would do a vet check to rule out illness then consider single protein foods like Zignature. One meat no grains no junk. I would start with a meat your dog has never eaten. Buy a small bag and try it for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. Also just to make sure its not empty stomach syndrome feed a couple of biscuit type cookies at bedtime

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
@Dawnben, how are you able to conclude that this sounds like meat intolerance?

Because my hound did that for over a year. It was heart breaking. The only thing the vet recommended was a life on pepcid. We went around and around until I took him off meat and the symptoms disappeared completely in 4 days. My dog would get up in the morning eat grass and throw up bile. Had a rumbling in his stomach kind of a pinging noise. Had gas that could clear a room. Would refuse food. After 3 months as a vegetarian I added turkey back into his diet. He had never eaten turkey before. He has not had any stomach issues since and its been about 8 years. I see this as an easy test to see if its the meat that is the problem.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Because my hound did that for over a year. It was heart breaking. The only thing the vet recommended was a life on pepcid. We went around and around until I took him off meat and the symptoms disappeared completely in 4 days. My dog would get up in the morning eat grass and throw up bile. Had a rumbling in his stomach kind of a pinging noise. Had gas that could clear a room. Would refuse food. After 3 months as a vegetarian I added turkey back into his diet. He had never eaten turkey before. He has not had any stomach issues since and its been about 8 years. I see this as an easy test to see if its the meat that is the problem.
May not be the same problem and the "testing" may delay needed treatment. If a vet can't find a reason for a gastro problem, a good vet will recommend an elimination diet of some sort.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We have a Poodle/bischon also, she used to do the same. She just has a sensitive stomach. Our Vet was suspicious she might have some food allergies, but that does not seem to be the case. With Samantha, she seemed to outgrow it, maybe part of the problem was stress, and as she became more comfortable with us she seemed to out grow it. We also discovered with her, its better to feed her small quantities more often, as a large meal seems to upset her system.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I would second @Grabby and say a vet visit is best. Maybe even take a recent fecal sample in to have them test it as well.

Vomiting has many possible reasons for it's occurrence. Could be a food issue, could be a blood sugar issue (hypo or hyper glycemic), could be a feeding (as in time) issue, could be stress, could be IBS, could be acid reflux, could be a pancreas issue, etc. You won't know till you take your pet in, the vet's run some real diagnostics and run through the differentials to give an accurate diagnosis.

Reactions: crazy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you

Thank you for the replies everyone. If it helps any, his stomach typically makes a lot of gurgling noises as well. We're currently trying pepcid, and we might also give him an antacid as suggested in a similar thread to this.
@Dawnben this is incredibly similar to what our dog Lyle does! He passes gas frequently, and will eat grass and throw up in the morning. Dawnben, could you elaborate on the vegetarian diet you suggested? We don't think our dog likes vegetables too much, so if you have any suggestions for us it would be really helpful!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
If it's an allergy it doesn't mean it's meat. Could be corn or any other grain, which is more common. Could be something else all together. Could be something serious like others have listed. You don't know. I'd cut the treats, cut the table food. Feed the dog food and only the dog food and see how he does with that. If it's still a problem switch to a grain free food and see, if still a problem switch proteins. But a vet visit is really your best bet. I would also look into raw feeding, it helps many dogs with sensitive stomachs and allergies. You also know exactly what it is your dog is getting, no guessing if it's ingredient A, B or X that is causing the problem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
One of my dogs was vomiting bile occasionally over a period of a month or two, mostly in the morning (eats 1x daily in PM), otherwise 100% fine, active, eating, etc. I had mentioned it to his vet and he suggested to try feeding a "snack" right before bed, and that we could try pepcid as well. Before I did either of those things, he vomited up a chunk of wood or a nut shell that had obviously been hanging out in his stomach for a good while. He hasn't had the symptoms since, so it obviously was due to the foreign body... we're very lucky it was apparently too large to exit his stomach, or he would have probably developed a blockage. The thought of a foreign body had never crossed my mind, as he's not the sort of dog to chew stuff up or eat items that aren't food, he must have picked it up with a toy while we were playing, or while digging. It would be worth seeing the vet to make sure it's not something like that, I know I will if he ever has similar symptoms again.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
May not be the same problem and the "testing" may delay needed treatment. If a vet can't find a reason for a gastro problem, a good vet will recommend an elimination diet of some sort.
That is why I said to do a vet check to eliminate illness first.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
@Dawnben this is incredibly similar to what our dog Lyle does! He passes gas frequently, and will eat grass and throw up in the morning. Dawnben, could you elaborate on the vegetarian diet you suggested? We don't think our dog likes vegetables too much, so if you have any suggestions for us it would be really helpful!
I would still do the vet check first. Then if the vet recommends a change of diet you could do a veggie diet. I used a diet from a Dr Dodds it was for dogs with IBS. It uses beans as a source of protein. It is a combination of lentils, split peas and a variety of grated steamed veggies. Mostly a variety of squash such as butternut spaghetti and zucchini. I also include cabbage carrots sometimes apple. I would change up the veggies every time I cooked I included 2 of the above. I cooked enough for a week at a time. You need to freeze what you can use in 3 days. You also need a good muti vitamin I used this. Make sure to get you dogs weight when you go to the vet, you will need it for the vitamins.
Platinum Performance® Canine | Platinum Performance

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thank you for the replies everyone. If it helps any, his stomach typically makes a lot of gurgling noises as well. We're currently trying pepcid, and we might also give him an antacid as suggested in a similar thread to this.

Also very similar to what we went through with Samantha, including the Pepcid, which did help to settle her stomach. Can't really pinpoint what if anything we did to help, it just fortunately is not the problem it once was. Now we constantly fight her gaining too much weight, which she tends to do, but we are very determined that she will not become overweight, which is really hard on their skeletal structure as well as other systemic problems.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
one food Jessie was on caused the gurgling tummy non stop! that was now fresh small breed not sure what ingredient caused it but she was pooping 4-6 times a day no jokes and always hungry despite being fed correct amount.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts