Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a german shepherd cross Australian shepherd named Aussie; he is 10 years old. He's a little bit of an anxious dog anyway but recently I've noticed that his body kind of quivers/vibrates when I talk to him and show him affection. He seems to do it mostly in the morning when I come downstairs (he sleeps downstairs, we all sleep upstairs) and then occasionally when I play with him/talk to him in a playful way?? Or even if I get him up on the couch with me to cuddle. It's very odd because it feels like he's anxious but I don't know why he would be, he hasn't done it in the 8 years I've had him and he doesn't really seem to do it with any other members of my family.

I will say he is a VERY submissive dog, he always has been even though I'd probably let him get away with murder so he has no reason to be!! But when he's vibrating, he tends to avoid eye contact with me but he stays very cuddly (burying his head into me, etc.)

Like I said, this doesn't happen all the time, only in situations when I'm directing all of my affection towards him or he is particularly excited.

What could it be?! Am I making him anxious somehow??

Thanks for any responses in advance,

Phoebe.

·
Registered
300 Posts
because of his age if he was mine I would have considered a trip to the vet just to check it out just to rule out that its not health related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our old Beagle/Jack Russel does the same thing.

We were told it's severe arthritis (she has a double hinged knee and arthritis is extra hard on that) and that she probably wants to jump or do her regular excited stuff but the pain keeps her from doing it, and/or gives her anxiety because she knows doing XYZ = pain.

We got her acupuncture and she's made progress. She's certainly not going to get younger any time soon, but the treatments allowed her to adjust to it. I think emotionally she just had to adjust as she is a high strung dog and easing into old age was hard for her emotionally because deep down that little excited bouncy dog is still in that old body!

Our dog also recently went partially deaf, and we're told the hearing can come and go a little. Ginger would be randomly VERY excited to hear us talk. I think it's because when she did vibrate, it's because she was hearing me clearly and understood and hearing us became very exciting.

Something medical is almost certainly going on, I would have him checked out by a vet.

(I also want to mention that I am personally NOT a fan of Rimadyl. It made my one dog go deaf and she died shortly after although she was odl I can't say for sure this had anything to do with it. My Aunt's dog who took it for a sprained leg and was otherwise healthy and young died 20 minutes after taking it and the vet confirmed sudden death syndrome. Just my personal opinion. )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts