Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 year old border collie, who is a dream in the house. Very clever, listens to all commands etc. As soon as i put her collar on she is crazy, a totally different dog. When we get out she pulls very hard, she is very excitable. This is an issue in itself, but it is something which can be handled. My main issue at the moment is as soon as she spots another animal she goes crazy, lunging at it, barking, i have tried to tell her off, that doesnt work. I try to just avoid and ignore by just walking past, that also doesnt seem to be working. Any help is welcome!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
This behavior is not typical for a border collie. I would say that the collar and leash are scaring her. Start by leaving her collar on 24-7 so she can get comfortable with the feeling. Let her wear the collar in the house, and other places she enjoys. Try and show her that the collar is not a harmful thing.

When you walk her she becomes fearful because she is not used to this sort of confinement. If you can ease her into the transition of walking on a collar and leash she will become more apt to working with you instead of panicking. Eventually, she should learn that going for walks is fun. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 8 year old Beagle, Pikey, has this problem. If we pass other dogs, he starts lunging and growling. His aggression is against dogs only; he will go up to perfect stangers to be petted. (Children are OK too). It's so bad that, if we spot someone walking their dog, we will turn around and walk the other way. If a dog is across the street, I try to find a parked car or shrubbery to block his view.
(Incidentally, congratulations on having a Border Collie. I'm always looking for videos of them working. Intelligent is an understatement. We had one in the neighborhood years ago and I always stopped to admire Boots)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts