Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had to deal with my son having the most major meltdown he has ever had. I raised my voice (to be heard over him) and physically restrained him as he was lashing out. I could see Jasmine getting visibly uncomfortable so I asked my Daughter to crate her and continued his discipline in another room.

Jasmine has been suspicious of me ever since, it is the first time she has ever seen things get physical, (no hitting from me ever), but she has heard a fair amount of talking back from them and stern reprimands from me(directed at kids, not her). It has never bothered her. She has been in his room snuggling him, as he was banished there for the rest of the day and pretty upset about it. she didn't come and hang out with me after kids went to bed, when my husband got back, she went and sat with him while occasionally sideways glancing at me.
I approached to say good night to her, and she turned away, so I just left it for now.
I know that as my kids get older, there will be occasional fireworks, today was the worst one my son has had in his 7 years, so I am hoping they will be infrequent. I think I handled it as well as I could have, no unnecessary yelling, etc, but any ideas on reassuring my dog, or preventing future issues? I don't want her to think I am a monster when I punish the kids!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My husband walked her that evening. She seemed a bit happier in the morning, I have been the one feeding her since then. She didn't get aggressive at all, just gave me the "I don't want to be near you" signals which I respected. She let me take her for a morning walk, but was not as attentive to me as usual.

She is pretty protective of the kids. I think she just saw me restraining my visibly upset son and decided that was bad. She was nowhere near intervening though, just uncomfortable.

It seems time is healing this. She is laying next to my feet right now. I just don't want it to happen again. It's impossible to explain to a dog that kids need discipline!

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
What a difficult situation! I'm a mom and I know that sometimes kids and families have meltdowns. Jasmine seems like a very attentive, sensitive dog so, of course, she is going to be upset.

I agree with Timber that it would be best for you or your husband to take Jasmine out of the home completely if the incident takes place when you're both home. Of course, I know that you can't plan a meltdown. Putting her in another room was a good idea, but unfortunately, she still saw and heard too much.

It sounds like your son had a temper tantrum and was well past the point of reason. However, now that the family has had a chance to calm down, maybe you all can have a discussion about how to better handle future conflicts as you all know how Jasmine is going to react. You don't want Jasmine to feel like she has to protect anyone in the house. That could end very badly for Jasmine and all of you.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
This is a bit off topic but... do children often have these kinds of meltdown? I dont know anything about kids. Just asking. Sounds scary :p

Taking her out of the house is the best solution.

Whenever we are arguing with raised voices (not often), Ella starts barking too. Loudly. It usually diffuses the situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts