1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is a

*female (spayed)
*1 year old
*corgi/terrier/lab mix (best info we have from where she was being fostered as a puppy...her litter was initially rescued from a shelter)

A couple months ago she seemingly randomly experiencing diarrhea. She was on Purrina puppy chow at the time. I tried giving her rice and chicken, but she didn't like rice (spit it out, ate the chicken) so I did oatmeal and chicken instead. It helped clear up the diarrhea, but her stools were still a little loose, and very wet, always sticking to the ground. Any time dry kibble started to be introduced, they got worse.

that's been going on for months. We've tried all sorts of kibble (blue buffalo wilderness, natural something or other, hills....they all give her bad diarrhea as soon as they are slowly introduced).

She's been on chicken, oatmeal, pumpkin, peas, apple pulp, and carrot pulp for the same time period and between trying to mix in little bits of kibble, and it helps her stools remain better for the most part.

The problem is (besides the fact that she cant seem to eat dog food) is that she's underweight (about 17lbs instead of 25lbs).

The vet has tried metronidazole with sucralfate, metronidazole by istelf, and prednisone, but nothing seems to help. They want to test her for EPI next.

I plan on doing that, but what if it comes up negative? The vet also mentioned talking to a nutritionist about allergies.

Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Really glad to hear you are working with your vet. Sounds medical to me. EPI seems like a good possibility. I'd go ahead with the testing asap.

Meanwhile, perhaps you could try a homemade diet if you are looking for alternatives. Just run it all through a meat grinder so she cannot sort things.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In the meantime, ask your vet whether you can feed you dog with chicken and rice which is recommended for stomach upset. Increase the carbohydrate content too.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My pup had loose stools on every type of kibble, too. For an unknown reason, both dogs and cats with loose stools, when switched to Iams, no longer have the problem. (Was told this by a young vet, not long after she was out of school. The told them this in their classes.) I had a kitten with loose stools and nothing the vet did helped. That's when I phoned this young woman, and she told me to switch to Iam's. It worked immediately.

WE adopted a pup from a rescue in October. He had the same problem. Switched him to Iams and his stools firmed right up, with no problems since.

I typically wouldn't feed Iam's, but I have to in order to avoid the loose stools.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I have had very good luck with lentils and I would add things like squash and sweet potato's I just took my hound that had a sensitive stomach off dog food and on to a home cooked food that consists of 50% ground turkey 25% grated veggies and 25% lentils. The lentils are easier to digest than the grains and have more protein. If anything his pooh got firmer with the change on the grain free dog food it was always on the soft side. With the home cooked meal you also have to add a good vitamin and mineral supplement daily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm currently feeding her a homemade food consisting of:

*3.5lbs boiled chicken breast
*6 servings of cooked oatmeal
*1 can of pumpkin
*1 can of peas or green beans
*Apples(4) and carrot(2) pulp from juicer

She doesnt gain weight on this food no matter how much she is fed. Her stools are sometimes firm, but many times too squishy to pick all the way up and it sticks to the grass.

·
Registered
112 Posts
SkinnyDog ,
Have you ever seen your dog eat any poop?

Can you describe your dogs stool , for example:bloody, mucus , watery ,strong odor?

Has dog ever had coccidia?The symptoms are similar to giardia. Requires different meds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She has had multiple fecal tests, with one being sent to a separate lab. Nothing came up, of course.

Her stools are squishy turds with a darker outside and a lighter inside. Sometimes they are mucusy, other times they arent. At the worst they are like cowpies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe a little less pumpkin and apples? I think they can cause diarrhea in dogs. And maybe try adding some cooked brown rice? I have a diabetic dog that I make food for(am able to stay med free so far!) Poor baby, I hope you are able to solve her problem soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
She has had multiple fecal tests, with one being sent to a separate lab. Nothing came up, of course.

Her stools are squishy turds with a darker outside and a lighter inside. Sometimes they are mucusy, other times they arent. At the worst they are like cowpies.
Treat for coccidia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog is a

*female (spayed)
*1 year old
*corgi/terrier/lab mix (best info we have from where she was being fostered as a puppy...her litter was initially rescued from a shelter)

A couple months ago she seemingly randomly experiencing diarrhea. She was on Purrina puppy chow at the time. I tried giving her rice and chicken, but she didn't like rice (spit it out, ate the chicken) so I did oatmeal and chicken instead. It helped clear up the diarrhea, but her stools were still a little loose, and very wet, always sticking to the ground. Any time dry kibble started to be introduced, they got worse.

that's been going on for months. We've tried all sorts of kibble (blue buffalo wilderness, natural something or other, hills....they all give her bad diarrhea as soon as they are slowly introduced).

She's been on chicken, oatmeal, pumpkin, peas, apple pulp, and carrot pulp for the same time period and between trying to mix in little bits of kibble, and it helps her stools remain better for the most part.

The problem is (besides the fact that she cant seem to eat dog food) is that she's underweight (about 17lbs instead of 25lbs).

The vet has tried metronidazole with sucralfate, metronidazole by istelf, and prednisone, but nothing seems to help. They want to test her for EPI next.

I plan on doing that, but what if it comes up negative? The vet also mentioned talking to a nutritionist about allergies.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Hiya, I have a rescue dog, with the same problem, she’s been treated for Giardia (bacteria infection) in the past, the vet at the moment trialed her on hills because he thought it was a protein issue, that diet made her worse and she lost 2 kilo in weight. She got to the point where she wouldn’t come out her bed to eat, I think her problem is to do with the gut flora am unbalance anyway I’ve introduced her to raw feeding and I introduced a probiotic this has helped along side vitamins she’s now firmer with just a little loose at the end.

·
Super Moderator
6,545 Posts
I'm really glad that helped. I'm going to close this thread as it's quite old, but it would be great if you could start a new one (with photos - we always want photos ...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.