Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone with experience would be able to help me with this problem. I have a one year old male mix breed named Raylan (my guess is more hunting breeds he visibly has southern curr in him and howls like a hound) and he is very mild mannered indoors and typically is great with other dogs. However when he is outside in play mode, on a couple of occasions Raylan has either instigated a dog to get overly aggressive with him and on one occasion he has been the "aggressor". Now I don't mean actual mauling but the behavior was no doubt beyond just playing. I am starting to realize that what is changing the behavior of other dogs from playing with him to getting aggressive with him is because he is WAY to vocal of a player. He isn't snarling (although he did that 1 time I spoke of above) but his howling when excited turns the other dogs off. It clicked this morning when my roomate's German Shepherd started playing with him and once Raylan started his excited howling, the German just came to my side and was done with him. My question is what would be the proper approach to fixing this? I don't want to yell at him every time he gets excited and think that playing is wrong. I want him to play with other dogs, he just needs to pipe down a bit and unfortunately his howling is a strong part of his nature. Not sure what to do!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think you're going to win this "battle". Some dogs, like some children, are very vocal when they play...and just living in general.

My dog has gotten more vocal as she ages.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did want to note though that dogs will often modify their behavior based on other dogs more than they will to human behavior. Just keep socializing him. he will learn if his antics keep other dogs away....and he may learn that it attracts other dogs...but eventually he will learn.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My basset hound barks when playing. A lot. He doesn't play so much now but when he was younger he'd run and bark and bark and bark. I don't think there is much you can do. It's just how some dogs are, especially hounds.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both... I sort of assumed that it was just part of his nature. I am relieved to hear that you feel he'll eventually learn by how other dogs react... I kept telling myself that but wasn't sure if it was just wishful thinking. Granted, I have only had him for 2 months now so clearly I just need to be more patient. I am going to leave the dog park out of the picture for the time being, he could be getting overwhelmed with the amount of dogs. I will just continue to let him play with my friend's dogs and hopefully my roommates German Shepherd can set him straight if he keeps going overboard with his "talking". Thanks again!

·
Registered
189 Posts
For sure, and what your roommate's German Shepherd did was perfect. Howly/ excited sounds mean it's the end of playtime. He'll get the picture soon enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.