Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently about a month and half ago, we had to put down our old cocker spaniel. My golden doodle seemed to noticed but didn't have a behavior change. In the last couple of days my doodle won't play with her tennis ball, she is anti-social (usually loves being around my family and I), and won't even attempt to chase the cat around the house. I am very concerned about her. As a family we are trying to decide if we should adopt another dog for my doodle or wait off for a longer time?

Please let me know what your input is. Also suggestions of where to rescue a poodle mix bred in Minnesota.

Thank You!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I had to put one of my dogs to sleep in February due to his chemo for his cancer no longer working, and my big mutt got depressed afterwards. It was pretty bad, she would NOT get out of bed until 3pm, I would pull on her trying to get her up, but 80lbs of dead weight is suuuper heavy so I just let her sleep. Once she got up we would do special things she didn't usually get to do when Zeus was around (because he was the one who got to do everything with me)

We would go for special extra walks, rides in the car, extra play dates with her friends, and I had a friend who went out of town for 2 months and I watched their Goldendoodle for them. Eventually she got out of her depression and is fine now.

If you're not ready now to get another dog then just make your current dogs life extra special until you are ready, but if you think you are ready then go for it and get another dog (or maybe foster if you are still not sure). I know when I watched Tucker (the goldendoodle) for my friend it really brought Lucy (my mutt) back to puppy-hood and they played for hours and it helped her a bunch. I am not ready, so I have not gotten another and my dog is fine, just do what feels right to you.

I am sorry for the loss of your dog, and I hope your pup starts to feel better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
My input is that you take her for a vet checkup prior to making any changes. You do not want to make a post hoc ergo propter hoc error, the change may be, but does not have to be, because of the loss of her friend.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top