Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a year and a half old short haired chihuahua. She's a good kid, and is surprisingly easy to learn commands and such. She's always been extremely friendly towards me. Two days ago when I woke up, I found her roaming around, so I scooped down and wanted to kiss her forehead like I've been doing for over seven months. Nope, she yelps and runs away and curls up in a corner. I try to pick her up concerned, nope, yelp and another run. Now I am thoroughly concerned.

I left her alone to see if she'd come to me and if I could see wtf the problem was. Later that evening and night, she was completely fine, although a bit cautious. I felt around her body, no yelps, so apparently nothing was broken, she wasn't in pain.

Yesterday morning she was afraid again, would jump back in fear, widen her eyes and bring her ears in an alert/fear position, if I bought my face near her. Weird.

That afternoon when I went "Hey lets go for a walk!" She just ran around the house super excited, jumping on everything while I put my clothes and shoes on. I picked her up to take her outside and I tried to feel her body again, yep, no pain, no yelps, nothing. She was weirdly excited.

At night she went back to half-fearful again, she'd walk with her tail half down, would be normal in a bit, and would get fearful again

This morning it was the same, jumping back in surprise when I bring my face near. However, then my kettle clicked, made her afraid and right now she's sitting between my legs, letting me kiss and whatnot.

Here are three videos barely 5 minutes apart:

First one where she's scared

Second one barely two minutes apart from first video when I say "Lets go outside

Third video a few minutes after we came home from a run outside

Now she just goes back and forth. Any idea what it could be? Vet appointments aren't available for a while in my area :( It just hurts when she looks at me when she's afraid as if I had abused the hell out of her.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ywow, brilliantly caught on video.

I, and i suspect you, will never know what happened. But it has. And now you have a dog, with intermittent spacial pressure fear.

If she runs around like a loon, for 'wanna go outside?' cue. I would piggy back on that. And have her happy, and play with a rag toy WITH her. Playing out to your side, not in front, as its too much a threat.

Try to avoid, decreasing the space she is keeping, by leaning in/over/towards her. Or reaching your hands out to her as you did in video.
Get her to decrease space and move towards you. Use spacial pressure, ie keep your distance.

Stop using a bowl for food, and hand feed her for her while.

Dont reinforce her fear, by acting concerned. If she runs to hide from you, run to other side of room, or run outside calling her to come. Keep your projected mood as up beat, happy, and confident, as she'll be taking cues from you.

Poor little poppit, and its not her fault.

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,351 Posts
Face-to-face greetings are hard for dogs, most dogs do not like it when other dogs approach their faces so it really does not surprise me that you putting your face in her face scares her. I have a dog who is afraid when my husband puts his face near hers, or bends over to her to do something.

For now I would avoid the interactions with her that bother her and just do the fun things she loves until her confidence is built back up. This may mean you don't ever kiss her again, depending on how she feels about it. Some dogs need their space, even though they love their humans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts