Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of long but I need to know if I should be exercising my dog more.

Just a little rundown, he is a ten month old boxer plott hound mix, he gets played with anywhere from 3-5 hours a day inside with another hour or so outside (depending on how the weather is) and he doesn't particularly like walks (when we take him out he just kinda...drags his feet, like going for walks is beneath him) he'd much rather play fetch until he exhausts himself.

Anyway...my dog is what we like to call 'a clown'. He seems to love making people laugh because if he does something that gets a laugh he will do it all the time...at least that's what we think.

One thing he likes to do, which I have never seen another dog do (please let me know of yours does) is jump up on the couch, flip himself upside down (usually with a bone or chew toy in his mouth) and make these weird semi-growling/whining noises while he chews on his bone, usually pushing his butt toward you. All while being upside down, mind you.

I don't know why he does this but it's pretty entertaining to watch.

He also will ONLY chew on chew sticks (those semi-chewy ones) while bowing and if his butt tries to come down (making him lay flat on the floor) he makes this frustrated sound and flips himself upside down to continue chewing.

Is this normal? Is he bored? Should we set up more frequent play dates with other dogs?
It's not really a problem, it doesn't bother anyone, I just want to make sure he's getting enough playtime.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Sounds like classic Boxer behaviour to me. If you asked any Boxer person to describe their breed in one word, that word would definitely be "Clown."

My Boxer pup does a lot of his chewing while laying on his back with his legs flailing in the air, too.

It doesn't sound to me like there's any problem, your guy is just a big goof. That said, there's no such thing as too many play-dates, especially for a pup. Boxers can have a bit of a bad reputation for not playing nice if they're not socialized enough - not agressive, per se, just a bit oblivious and lacking good manners.

Reactions: seebrown

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand completely about not having good manners. He's usually pretty good with puppies and smaller dogs (unless they play too rough) but with dogs bigger than him he tends to try and climb on top of them.

A lot of the times it looks like he's trying to hump them and the dogs owner will get a little upset until they realize his basically trying to get in their back.

Well, I'm glad it's not out of boredom, last thing I need is for him to decide his dozens of toys aren't as fun as eating mommy's shoes.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Anyway...my dog is what we like to call 'a clown'. He seems to love making people laugh because if he does something that gets a laugh he will do it all the time...at least that's what we think.

One thing he likes to do, which I have never seen another dog do (please let me know of yours does) is jump up on the couch, flip himself upside down (usually with a bone or chew toy in his mouth) and make these weird semi-growling/whining noises while he chews on his bone, usually pushing his butt toward you. All while being upside down, mind you.
Dogs very much respond to laughing..The love it and as it makes us feel good. It also makes then feel good.

The couch and chews are his way of entertaining himself..He is not going crazy or losing..just having a blast with his chew buddy...he has to talk to his buddy..and roll around with his tasty fun buddy...:D

Gotta love them...they are great entertainers as well as comfort companions..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts