Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I took in an abandoned dog a few days ago. As far as I can tell, he seems to be a cocker spaniel-poodle mix. The vet I took him to says he might be about 2 years or older. the first few days, he seemed to have all the energy in the world. He couldn't wait to go outside and was constantly running jumping or walking around the house. Yesterday, I took him to a dog park and let him run around and play for over 2 hours. When we came back home, he was exhausted as expected and basically slept for the rest of the day. However, today he's been sleeping on and off all day. He might get up and walk to a different spot then continue sleeping. He also started sneezing a little and kind of making a coughing sound. Not constantly, but every once in a while. He's eating and pooping just fine. Is there something serious wrong with him, or am I just worrying too much?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Sounds like he may have picked up Kennel Cough at the dog park. Is he vaccinated against it? What is he vaccinated against at this point?

I wouldn't panic yet. See how tonight goes, often times they cough more at night. You can steam up your bathroom and put him in there to help break up whatever might be accumulating in his chest.

It's good that he's eating well. Make sure he continues to drink. If things get worse you should see the vet to get a cough suppressant (OTC human meds are NOT okay unless prescribed by the vet) and some will give antibiotics prophylactically for pneumonia.

Don't go to the dog park again for a few weeks since Kennel Cough is VERY contagious. Leash walks only (and short walks).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering, Holly. I thought he might have caught something at the park. I was just worried that he went from extremely high energy to almost none at all.

When I took him to the vet 2 days ago, he got a rabies vaccine and DHPP vaccine, but I have no clue if his previous owners had him vaccinated for anything.

He's not very expressive (no barking/whining or anything), so its been difficult trying to figure him out. I imagine he might still be a little scared or stressed from his sudden life change. Do you think putting the heat up in my apartment would help, I can't tell if he's hot or cold or comfortable??

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I wouldn't change the heat or anything, but I'd definitely do the steamy bathroom thing (you could also try a warm-air humidifier if he likes a particular room...)

Stress does a lot to them and tends to weaken their immune system... so between the stress, the vaccines and his exposure to viruses at the dog park, it's no wonder he's a bit dumpy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I take in a deserted dog a few days ago. As far as I can tell, he seems to be a cocker spaniel-poodle mix. The vet I took him to says he might be about 2 years or older. The first few days, he seemed to have all the energy in the world. He couldn't wait to go outside and was constantly running jumping or walking around the house

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have an almost 8 yr old cocker spaniel poodle mix. Sometimes she coughs too, and I have asked the vet about it when we first got her 4 yrs ago. He told me to bring her back should it happen more frequently.

It sounds like a one time cough with a bit of a gag, or a quick expelling of a dry cough, like she is trying to clear her throat. It happens mostly when her hair is getting long, it's just time for a trim. Has your dog long hair around its mouth?

Good luck with your cutie and I hope he gets better soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts