Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've introduced Malvin before. Not sure her exact breed but she seems to be a beagle/terrier mix.

I found her about 8 years ago while in college living with my brother. When I moved away she stayed with him where she was free to run in his big backyard. I've since moved back home, he's since married, has children, and she began living with me. I live in a 1,000 sq ft townhouse with about a 15x15 patio area with cement under the covered area and pebbles in the open area.

I work 8 hours a day and have tried leaving her in the patio area during the day but I always get a call from someone in the neighborhood that found her. She's a little Houdini and is ALWAYS looking for a way to get out. Since she gets out during the day I've been leaving her in my house while I'm at work and she just sleeps all day (I work from 8-5). I take her for short walks in the morning, when I get home (about 6pm), and before going to bed. In the evenings she is obviously discontent (sitting by the door whining, scratching) and wants to go run outside but my backyard doesn't interest her... she wants to run in the neighborhood. If she does get out she either always comes back or someone takes her in and calls me to pick her up... but I don't want her running around in the street as she has already been hit by a car once before.

I'm looking for a solution to this and a way to make her happy about being inside. I mean she's not a lab or a golden retriever... she's an inside dog. Any advice and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My dog is a lab mix and she is very happy as an indoor dog. It sounds to me like your dog is bored, so you just need to fix that...you're lucky she is just sitting by the door whining, and not being destructive!

The good news is, dogs are very adaptable and she can learn to be happy in your home - you just need to help her :)

I would start with a long (~ 1-1.5 hr) walk/run around the neighborhood in the mornings before work. Short walks aren't enough - she has energy and she wants to explore where you live and I'm sure it is not safe for her to do this on her own, so go with her. Let her sniff everything, run, be happy, etc.

Does she fetch? Could you engage her in a game in the evenings (or in the mornings)?

Also, I would invest in some kongs. I feed my dog her meals out of these during the day. They are mentally stimulating and as long as your dog is not a big chewer (I would observe a few times her before leaving her alone with one) they are safe.

Also, get some treat dispensing toys to keep her engaged if you're too tired to play with her at night.

Another great idea is a flirt pole. If you don't have time to take her for a long walk or if the weather isn't great (or if she just has a lot of energy in general), this is a great way to tire her out pretty quickly inside or in your yard (The Flirt Pole: Dog Toy or Life Changer? | notes from a dog walker).

·
Registered
453 Posts
I second the flirt pole. It was a huge help with giving Cobber the chance to run off his energy when I had to keep him on leash all the time in the neighborhood. I now have a fenced in yard where Cobber can run off-leash if he wants to, but I still get out the flirt pole because he absolutely loves chasing the silly squeaker toy around and around much more than running for a ball or something else I toss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input everyone... especially for the links. I think the flirt pole is something she will like. I used to take her jogging with me but my route is 4 miles and she gets too hot and exhausted. Playing with her more inside will help and hopefully as she gets more used to being here she will calm down.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I used to take her jogging with me but my route is 4 miles and she gets too hot and exhausted.
Can you do a loop that takes her for 1-2 miles, then drop her back at home while you finish your run? My sister does this with my family's older dog and it works out really well - everyone gets their exercise! I don't know if it would be feasible for you, but it's something to consider :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Aww, what a cutie! You've got some of the same problems I'm starting to have with the weather change. My dog is an absolute fetchaholic indoors--glad my husband is not uptight about the furniture or floor! Do you do any obedience training or trick training? I have heard that it is very important to tire out the mind as well as the body. Does she have a lot of toys? I'm trying to rotate them out so he always has something of interest. Chew bones buy me about 45 minutes of peace in the evenings (I sneak them away before bedtime). Is there any other dogs in your apartment building that could come over for a playdate on the patio?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts