Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three dogs named Bailey (9yrs old) Baxter (6 yrs old) and Midas (3yrs old.) Midas is the puppy of Baxter and Bailey, he was living in a different home for the first year of his life. I have had him for back for two years now and he acts aggressively towards other people and dogs. He lunges at people or dogs that get too close to us, and barks crazily any time I have guests over (I try to put him in a crate in another room with relaxing dog music.) I am terrified he will somehow hurt a child or another dog. The tension is high with him and his father Baxter, they have fought and ripped each other apart. Previously Baxter had never acted out aggressively and overall has a great temperament and is great with kids and other dogs. I can’t keep Midas in a muzzle forever :( I also feel like he’s a deadly weapon that I can’t control. When I first had Midas when he was 1 I was living in a not so great situation with a drug addict in the household. When the drug addict would scream at me or have aggressive body language Midas would run up and bark at him aggressively, one time when the drug addict lunges towards me Midas started to bite and attack him. I no longer live with the drug addict but I am dealing with my dogs trauma. Is it my fault Midas wants to protect me and try’s to lunge and attack other dogs and people? I do take Midas to the dog park everyday and he is very fixated on fetching, he never barks and lunges at people only when we are at or near the dog park. Midas will listen to my commands perfectly healing next to me and all. I don’t understand why he is such a good boy only at the dog park? Even when another dog grabs his ball he does not attack him just follows him around? I’m scared if I want to have a baby in the next few years he would attack my baby or something crazy? It’s a very stressful situation and I love Midas I just don’t want him to hurt anybody!

What is the responsible thing to do with him? Pay for doggie boot camp? Take him to the vet to see if he needs medication like Paxil (might have a dog anxiety disorder idk if this would help with aggression though.) Muzzle him everyday (not ideal I don’t want him to have to live like this.) Re-home him??? What can I do to help Midas??

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's horrible! Maybe Midas is really like that because of her past experience and I agree with Farncl27 idea, separate him from other dogs. If it wouldn't work then it's best if you hire a dog behaviorist. :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
This is not something we can appropriately give advice for over the internet.

Please hire a Veterinary Behviourist or a positive reinforcement trainer to come look at your dog.

When dogs start fighting, the fights tend to increase in severity and occurrence, so it is an issue that they are already doing so much damage to each other. Keep them separated and have the trainer look at him.

I would NOT re-home a dog that has such serious potential aggression.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It sounds like he has PTSD and anxiety from his early time feeling he had to protect you from the scary drug addict. The best thing is to first get him completely checked out medically by a good vet who listens to you and respects you. My dog got aggressive temporarily when he had Lyme disease and then again when he had hypothyroidism. Both times the aggression got better just with medical treatment but it was never as severe as what you described.
Once he's medically cleared, get a good behaviorist or trainer who specializes in aggression. In the meantime always keep him separate from the dogs he's dangerous to
I think it's a hopeful sign that he's able to focus so well on fetch and listen to you at the dog park and not be aggressive at all there. It's just a matter of working out is fears in every other situation. Not easy or quick. In the meantime keep him muzzled or separate so he doesn't hurt anyone else.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts