Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My dog Benjamin (8-pound Yorkshire Terrier) became super sick to his stomach on Dec 24th in the evening. He was vomiting a ton of bile multiple times and had diarrhea. I brought him into the ER and the doctor recommended that they give him a fluid shot under the skin and an antinausea shot. When we got home he began vomiting again (bile) so I waited it out a little, then decided to bring him back into the hospital the following day. The doctor that saw him took an X-ray of his stomach and took blood and all he told us was that Benji was just super dehydrated. The doctor recommended that Benji should spend the night in the hospital with IV fluids to rehydrate him and if he was able to eat the following day after receiving the IV fluids, we'd be able to take him home. The following day the doctor called to let us know that Benji did not vomit throughout the night and that he kept his breakfast down. We ended up picking him up around 2 PM and when we got home he was extremely tried. Last night was his first night sleeping at home and I spend most of the night checking up on Benji to make sure he was not vomiting and was comfortable. The night ended up going super well and aside from Benji having a bit of a loose stool he was eating and acting pretty 'normal'. This morning after feeding him breakfast (ID Bland Diet from dr) I started to notice that Benji did not want anything to do with drinking any water. I waited this out a few hours then decided to add water to his wet food. This is the only way Benji will drink water right now. I have to add water to his food or to a liquid supplement in order for him to drink. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can 24hrs of IV fluids make discourage your dog from drinking water? I am very worried that he will get dehydrated again and we'll have to do this whole thing over again.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I am not a Vet, but I would guess that he was super hydrated while hospitalized, and may not be thirsty. Is he peeing normally? If so, that would be a good sign. You should probably call your Vet, just to be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not a Vet, but I would guess that he was super hydrated while hospitalized, and may not be thirsty. Is he peeing normally? If so, that would be a good sign. You should probably call your Vet, just to be sure.
That would make sense. I also added a ton of water to his wet food so he was probably getting enough water while eating. Yesterday was the first time he drank plain water without me disguising it (out of his water bowl) !! He is all good now! Thanks for the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts