Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
can anyone Please tell me what I can try out? my dog has been Itching for the last 3 days now. I have Given him a Bath I have brushed him. I have given him his one month k9 advantix ll for dogs 4 month supply. The dog food the I give to him is eukanuba adult adulte and I have him some dog Treats milk bone soft and chewy and purina alpo variety snaps. I am Hoping I can get a Appointment with my Dog doctor hope to get it for Tomorrow or Saturday. but if I can not get a Appointment in till After Labor Day. Is there anything els I can try from home till I can get Appointment? Thank you for any help with this

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tea tree oil and chamomile can be soothing for itchy skin. In my area, we have a spray called Vet's Best containing these. Maybe you have the same or something similar in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
I could be any number of things, from the treats and food you are feeding him, to an environmental allergy, to if the itching is localized something could have bitten him.

How long have you been feeding those food and treats?
Does his feces look O.K.?
Did you switch laundry soaps or bring in a new carpet or dog bed?
Did you move recently, or take him somewhere new?

My boy was 16 yrs old when I figured out he was allergic to chicken I had put him on a senior kibble that only had chicken as a protein, the canned food I was using as a topper was chicken, and the treats I was giving him was chicken, within a few days of the change he had diarrhea, couldn't seem to stop scratching his sides, and was shaking his head like his ears were bothering him.

What you can try till you can get him to a vet is giving him benedryl. The dose for dogs is 1mg per pound, every 12 hours. If you've never given it to your dog then you may want to give him half the dose see how he does, and if needed give the other half. It makes some dogs very sleepy.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Those treats are terrible. Full of fillers and potential allergens. I'd stick to the food for now and skip treats til you see the vet .

Never put teatree oil on your dog. It can be toxic. I've paid so much money at the vet over itching and really it's so complex and could be allergies, yeast, irritants, mites. Where is he itching and how..scratching, licking, rubbing on carpet? Does he smell?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dogs have also been itching.. I think it might be the Alpo Variety snaps.... I gave the Benedril.. and stopped giving them the snaps.. will see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts