Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went on vacation this week and decided to board the dog because he's potty training and a couple of our days we were planning on being at a theme park and stuck on a lake and it wasn't fair to the dog to leave him alone with no potty breaks. We usually carry our puppy with us unless we are flying and I wish we had done so this time.

He had been licking paws and his ears were balding from scratching. We had seen the vet and he said there was no sign of mites and it was probably allergies. He's 5 months old now, this was his 4 month checkup. I decided to change his food when the paw licking started. He went from innova puppy to TOTW Pacific Stream Puppy (missouri plant). I picked that food because I wanted to avoid chicken and eggs. I never have given him anyhthing with corn, wheat, or soy. His treats are wellness puppy and yams.

Anyway..I take him on Saturday night because we were leaving early Sunday morning. I picked him up Thursday morning. I called Wednesday and was told he had diarrhea some (guess he was stressed) but he was friendly and playful with staff. I picked him up and didn't really check him out too much. His fur was long and I was planning to groom him when I got back. We get home and there is poop all over his butt. YUCK. Hose that crap off! Anyway, I had to cut it out because it was dried at that point. I stripped his blown coat and once some hair was gone I found a deer tick and a seed tick on him. I ran a slicker brush down his back and his skin over his spine started weeping and bleeding. inside his back legs he has lost a ton of fur. There is also major fur loss over his eye and by his ears (the front on the forehead...not the backs of the ears). He has a rashy looking tummy.

The vet can't see me til Monday morning. I got him some NuStock in case it is mange and to stop the itching. He is clawing his face and moaning. Tonight he feels some better..I think the nustock helped because last night he was miserable and just wanted to lay in his crate.

I called the kennel and told them I found ticks and recommended they spray their premises. I am really mad now if he ends up with mange of any kind. Also, why not spray down if you see he has poop all over his butt???? It was $20 a night and they have some rooms that are $50 a night if you want your dog to have a TV and junk. I paid $100 to have my dog come home in total stress and possible mange with TICKS.

So what would you do in this situation??? Am I expecting too much? I. did the best I could for my dog and he now looks like a yard dog I tie up out back. UGH

Any tips for skincare also welcome!

·
Registered
96 Posts
You need to wirte a formal letter of complaint to the kennels, he sounds like he's had a pretty rough time :(
I dint think there is a whole lot you can do until you see the vet and are able to find out what it is, although I'd pull off the ticks.
I hope he's ok & best of luck with the vets. :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Are you in the states? Boarding facilities normally require a topical flea and tick treatment for boarding.

Yes they should have noticed the poop on the butt. Boarding facilities hire Joe Schmoe because they pay next to nothing half the time, this is why I don't board at any chain facilities and only at very small ones.

As for the hair loss and mange, the only way you could be upset is if it winds up being sarcoptic which is contagious, otherwise its not caused by the boarding facility.

Can you post pictures of the hairloss?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is on ivermectin & comfortis. He was current. This is a seemingly dog friendly local owned facility. My other option was a vet's office which seems somewhat sterile and cold for 5 days of boarding. They have posh little huts that are $50 a night and of course there are add ons like kongs, extra play time, etc. I just did the $20 a night regular kenneling becaues my dog doesn't watch the TV enough to justify an extra $30 a night.

I'm going to the vet around 8 tomorrow morning. I'll see what he says. Just so frustrating when you research and try to do what's right and still end up wrong.

Are you in the states? Boarding facilities normally require a topical flea and tick treatment for boarding.

Yes they should have noticed the poop on the butt. Boarding facilities hire Joe Schmoe because they pay next to nothing half the time, this is why I don't board at any chain facilities and only at very small ones.

As for the hair loss and mange, the only way you could be upset is if it winds up being sarcoptic which is contagious, otherwise its not caused by the boarding facility.

Can you post pictures of the hairloss?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Oh I by no means think you did anything wrong. But for the ticks...if your dog was up to date on treatment then there really is nothing they could have done. Ticks happen. If he was COVERED in ticks then I would definitely be beyond upset.

I hope it is nothing like mange, but rather stress related :( poor guy and poor you

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found another tick this morning! He ended up and they think it's severe skin allergies that turned into a secondary infection and the tick bites I pulled off was infected too. Got temeril plus antibiotics and episoothe shampoo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts