Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. Just wanted to know if anybody has had a similar experience and had any information or advice. Basically my dog got into some meds (piroxicam a type of NSAI) sometime yesterday. I don't know when he had them I just found a chewed up packet, he also vomited his breakfast so I took him to the emergency vet. They put him on IV and tested his blood for creatinine to check for kidney damage. 9 hours later so far so good, no signs of damage yet and the vet said the blood tests have made them less concerned. Just wondering how long should my dog stay at the emergency vet and what is the likelihood he will be okay? Of course I will be following my vet's instructions but the wait for them to call me is killing me.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'm not sure of the answers to all of your questions, but I hope all turns out ok for you and your dog. As far as how long the dog will have to stay, I'm sure only the vet there can tell you that, depending upon how further tests, exams work out. But it sounds hopeful, if there's no kidney damage so far and the blood tests look promising too.

Again, hope you get your dog back from the vets, no worse for wear, very soon.

Stormy

Reactions: leashedForLife

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Hoping for a happy update.

that the kidneys appear undamaged is excellent news - so long as they keep working, that's wonderful.

Did the bloodwork include liver enzymes? - that would also be a concern.
The liver metabolizes many / most drugs; it appears that piroxicam damage is usually limited, & luckily, livers - given time - grow new tissue.

https://livertox.nih.gov/Piroxicam.htm

- terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: The vets have rerun all of the tests and say everything seems normal so we were able to bring him home today. Not quite out of the woods yet so we will be keeping a close eye on him to make sure he is alright! I'm very happy to have him home again though :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts