Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted my Black and Tan Coonhound, Lucy, almost a month ago. My previous dog was a Blue Tick, so I feel like I am not a novice when it comes to coonhounds. However, Lucy has taken to digging furiously when we are not around and managing to escape (I'm just thankful she is microchipped!!), which my previous baby - God rest his soul - did not ever do.

For some background information, I have a 1/2 acre fenced in yard with an unfenced backfield attached. She has plenty of space to run, smell things, and bark at smelly things that move - and on top of that I take her out every night on long walks to help her burn even more energy off, but I feel like it's never enough. She is a perfect angel inside of the house, but outside she is constantly whining and wishing to dig her way out of the backyard everyday. No toys will keep her distracted at all.

I am just worried for her safety. We live not too far from a fairly busy highway and it would kill me to lose her like that, or in any shape or form. I am willing to try an electric fence, but that is an easy $300 that my poor college student self doesn't have just lying around and I would like to use that as a last resort. Is there anything I can do behavior-wise with her before I break into my college savings? Is there something I'm missing? Any advice / help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but your saying you leave her in the yard when your not home?
My personal suggestion is to keep her inside, or in a crate if need be. Especialy because of the safety concern. Or if for some reason this is not possible, your going to have to either block the bottom of the fence or put something underneath it. Dogs don't do much when were gone, so even having a toy around may not help. Does she whine and dig when your outside with her, or just when she's outside by herself? Just from what I read, (and assuming this occurs when your not outside with her), she might find it stressful and nervous, making her whine and want to get out. If she's great in the house the in my personal opinion it would be best to keep her inside when not supervised.

Also id forgo the electric fence. If a dog is determed enough they can easily blow through the fence, and then cant get back in/not want to come back in from the shock. Scent hounds follow there nose so there more likely to go running off after a scent. I would also avoid using adverse methods of trying to keep her in the yard. Its not really addressing the reason she wanting to dig and get out.

You mentioned long walks at the end of the day with her. What other forms of exercise do you do with her?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I also have a hound and have to keep him inside. Given the chance he would follow his nose miles from home so you can't let that happen. Its not that they look for ways to escape it is that the instinct to follow their noses is so strong that they have to do it. Our walks are not really walks they are smelling adventures. I used to stress over the walking part, now I just let him follow his nose and smell instead of worrying about the walk. We have a scooter for the exercise part.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but your saying you leave her in the yard when your not home?
My personal suggestion is to keep her inside, or in a crate if need be. Especialy because of the safety concern. Or if for some reason this is not possible, your going to have to either block the bottom of the fence or put something underneath it. Dogs don't do much when were gone, so even having a toy around may not help. Does she whine and dig when your outside with her, or just when she's outside by herself? Just from what I read, (and assuming this occurs when your not outside with her), she might find it stressful and nervous, making her whine and want to get out. If she's great in the house the in my personal opinion it would be best to keep her inside when not supervised.

Also id forgo the electric fence. If a dog is determed enough they can easily blow through the fence, and then cant get back in/not want to come back in from the shock. Scent hounds follow there nose so there more likely to go running off after a scent. I would also avoid using adverse methods of trying to keep her in the yard. Its not really addressing the reason she wanting to dig and get out.

You mentioned long walks at the end of the day with her. What other forms of exercise do you do with her?
Leaving a dog in crate for this much time is cruel, the dog belongs in the yard. This person should either put wood or block at the base of the fence so the dog can not dig, or perhaps build proper outdoor kennel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry, how much time? I didn't notice how much. Leaving a dog in a crate is not cruel if they are properly exercised and stimulated before, are taught that the crate is a good and safe place, and aren't left for too long. Dogs are instinctively den animals and a proper sized crate can replicate the den feeling and be a safe place. In the case where roaming in the yard will result in injury or loss, the yard doesn't seem like a safer choice than a crate.

I do agree with you Trailgirl that an outdoor kennel may be a good solution to this problem as long as the dog can't dig out of it.

You mentioned a night time walk, but what about a morning one before the dog goes into the yard all day?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.