Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have 6 year old, male, west highland white terrier who is always barking. Its not like he's barking at a loud noise or something but he barks even when there is nothing there.
Does anyone have any ideas of how we can stop this?
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
your dog is a terrier and terries are barky.....is he getting enough exercise and stimulation - often barking is a sign of boredom. More informationo please!

d

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Sounds bored and under exercised for starters.
Yes, we need more information to be of help.

Specifically, can you describe a typical day for your dog?

Also, what methods have you used to try to stop the barking?
How do you usually react to his barking?

·
Registered
385 Posts
What I've always done, is teach the "quiet" command. Each time your dog barks, then STOPS...BIG praise. Make sure you wait til they're done barking though lol, otherwise you're only reinforcing the behavior. You want him to learn that by being quiet, especially when given the command...he gets good things. Attention, praise, treat. It takes a lot of repetition for some dogs, because it's true, some dogs are just way more barky than others. Every time he finishes barking, "Good quiet". After he learns what the command means, then you can start using it say, after he's barked twice, to alert you to something. For example: Luke hears someone outside, he barks two or three times at most to alert me. I say Quiet..he shuts up. If it's a case of barking over nothing, then start noticing when he's just sitting there doing nothing but being quiet,and praise him then too.
I agree, it could very well be at least lessened by more excersise and stimulation. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.