Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently we adopted a 4 year old hound pit mix from a shelter. She didn't have a lot of information when we got her as she had just transferred a week previously from another shelter. We took her home and that week the weather remained warm. once it got cold however i started noticed she would just be covered head to toe in big itchy hives every time we went outside for a walk. As there have been no changes in her diet and the hives start going away after shes been back inside for a while, i assume she must be allergic to the cold. I have had a lot of dogs and never once had a dog have this kind of reaction and i didn't even know it was possible. i have a vet appointment scheduled in the next week to confirm my theory, but in the mean time has anyone else had a similar experience with their dog? What steps can i take to help her? I hate to see her be so miserable and itchy every time we go outside and she is very high energy so I don't want to stop her walks. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it because i am at a total loss.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My sister is allergic to cold and gets hives whenever she feels cold in the winter or while swimming. She has to wear a full body diving suit in th water to prevent that. I donÂ’t know whatÂ’s going on with your dog but it would be interesting if it were something similar.

·
Registered
745 Posts
the only link on those sites to cold would be stress as being cold can stress the body & stress is a cause however there are lots more other far more likely causes. Preservative in food can be a trigger too & so can foods that are high in acid. I get hives from wine with preservative & from strawberries oranges kiwifruit tomatoes etc. I have to be so careful

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your response! i took her to the vet and the vet said she didnt know what it was but it is apparently not possible for her to be allergic to the cold. She ended up giving her the best shot for overall allergies. It has seemed to work, but it was an expensive shot so im hoping it doesnt start again any time soon.

·
Registered
745 Posts
?? thanks for the update, yeah shots are hideous prices so keep working on prevention aswel & try to eliminate possible causes so you are less likely to have a reocurrance. Glad your dogs getting some releif!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts